[Conan] Saga of the Ages 1: A Cat in the Dark

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
The frigid, black waters of the river flowed swiftly through the dreaming city. Squatting like a great toad above the torch-lit streets of the nighted metropolis, on a vast cliff overlooking the river, was a large square building, its spired domes scraping the night.

One region of the city was especially rank. The odors of blood and sweat filled the narrow streets. This was the thieves' district of the city of Ianthe, the capital of Ophir. The city guard scarce ever entered the narrow, crooked streets - even armed and mailed soldiers fearing the thieves and scoundrels which preyed upon the unwary.

It was in the Wandering Eye, one of the taverns crowding this district, where the red-haired barbarian Thorkin Bearkiller sat at a table with a self-styled "King of Thieves", Santoro of Shadizar. Thorkin had wandered down from the wastes of Vanaheim to seek his glory among the kingdoms of the southland, and Santoro was one of the fastest friends he had made upon arrival in this golden city.

Into the Wandering Eye strode a tall man, swarthy-faced, with the look of a man hardened by a life of wandering the desert. A waxed and pointed beard adorned his face, and a long scar ran down his cheek. The man sauntered up to the bar and retrieved an ale. Then he strode back through the tavern, eyes lighting up at an empty chair across from the two rogues. Without pausing for invitation, he pulled out the chair and sat himself down. He began guzzling his ale. The man slammed it on the table, and it foamed over his calloused hand.

"So, friends," he said to Thorkin and Santoro, his first words of greeting to the pair, "what manner of folk be you? You resemble not the lazy, well-fed dogs of this city."

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Thorkin Bearkiller

Thorkin looks up to the new comer, nods his head once as he lowers his tankard of whatever swill this place has to offer. He wipes his mouth with the back of his arm and says "I be Thorkin, son of Ragnar, stranger. And where I hail from is the true lands of the far north... not the soft south. And ye name? I do not drink with those who I do not know... and I hate to spend to much time not a drinking"

Vigilance

Explorer
Santoro leans back in his chair, surveying the bar for signs of danger.

"Of course friend, if you wanted to buy us a drink, Thorkin and I would be glad to hear whatever you have to say."

Then looking at my large friend from the corner of my eye, "Provided you start with your name for my friend."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Aye, an ale for the hardy adventurers," the man says, beckoning a serving-wench to the table and moments later taking two foaming mugs from her. He pushes them across the table towards the Vanir and the Zamorian. He narrows his eyes as he leans in to speak. "You drink with Gyrrho, Rider of the Deserts of Koth, chieftain of the khallufti of Vasala, the scourges of Scilda. I bring you a proposition, adventurers. Ye look to be the sort always on the lookout for coins to buy your ale and your wenches." Gyrrho of Vasala grins a toothish grin.

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Thorkin Bearkiller

Thorkin orders another mug, winking to the lass that brings it, takes a large drink and nods his head to newcomer "Well meet Gyrrho... aye, we have indeed partaken in many an adventure where blood is spilled and many a women has been won... and of course plunder is what we all live for is it not?"

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Aye, that it is," answers Gyrrho. "What I ask is a simple thing, a trifle to a reaver such as yourself. But first a story of myself, and why I seek revenge. I am chief of the Vasalan khallufti, the raiders who ride the deserts of Koth, our blades shining. 'Twas a half year ago we razed the city of Scilda in southern Ophir. Three months ago, while on another of our raids, our tribe was assailed by the soldiers of Vendishan. They slaughtered a full fifty of our men, more than three-quarters our number. Blood soaked the grounds, aye, and then heaven herself wept for the fallen of Vasala. Those few of us who remained fled for our very lives through the new-made rivers of gore.

"For these three months have I been wandering, looking in every tavern and drinking-house in every thieves' district from Khorshemish to Tarantia looking for men who would do the deed I ask. I wish death, sirs! Count Drusus of Vendishan must be killed for his deeds--" Just then there is a commotion from the front of the tavern. Three tough-looking men - evidently simple thugs - point towards Gyrrho.

"There you are, you dog of a khallufti!" the leader of the mob shouts. One member of his gang fingers the hilt of a knife displayed openly at his waist, in the custom of thieves' districts. As Gyrrho turns to face the speaker, this rogue swiftly withdraws a handful of small daggers from his sleeves.

He hurls one of these, and it flies end-over-end past Gyrrho's head. Thorkin and Santoro narrowly dodge the thrown dagger, and it likewise narrowly misses the head of a Bossonian sitting at the table behind.

[This is you, Ferretguy]

Last edited:

ferretguy

First Post
Sitting enjoying a drink at the Wandering Eye (also noting wenches for which this tavern is known), Balavous thinks about his funds. Gods....I'm starting to run a little low, can't even afford to lay one of these ladies. Maybe I should have taken that offer as caravan guard for that misbegotten pig of a merchant, HEY!...He almost falls from his chair as a knife embedes itself it the beam next to his ear.Damn you! Throwing knives in a tavern causes those with no arguements with you to now have one!. His frustration with his money situation coupled with almost being stuck causes his normally calm manner to take a back seat, as noted by his axe and short sword to be out of their sheaths and ready to taste the fool throwers blood.

Vigilance

Explorer
Santoro draws one of his throwing knives and speaks to the leader of the mob...

"If you're looking for trouble you've found it friend."

Karl Green

First Post
Thorkin Bearkiller

Throwing back his chair and roaring in anger Thorkin says "By Ymir's teeth, you dogs have picked the wrong time to be tossing naked steel... yet I have not spilled blood this day and yours will have to do..."

With that Thorkin draws his war sword and rushes the nearest of the thugs to deal a little back ally justice! [Attack +9 damage 1d12+5]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Thorkin's blade sings its crimson song as it flies from its sheath and whistles through the space between the Vanir's arm and the nearest of the thugs. The massive blade lays open a frightful gash on the thief's flesh, and the thief winces against the pain of the blow as he pulls a short blade from its sheath.

Lightly Wounded = 75% health or above
Moderately Wounded = 50%-75% health
Severely Wounded = 25%-50% health
Critically Wounded = less than 25% health

Ophirean Thug 1: critically wounded
Ophirean Thug 2: unhurt
Ophirean Thug 3: unhurt

Thorkin: unhurt
Santoro: unhurt
Balavous: unhurt

[Here's how we'll do combat. Each of you posts your actions for that round, and then after all three of you have posted I'll post a summary like this of the round's action and also giving a rough guesstimation of the involved parties' health levels. Have at it! BTW, as you might have guessed from Thorkin's action, you're within easy melee range (only about 15') of the Ophirean rogues. Balavous is a bit further back, about 5' behind the others).]

Last edited:

Remove ads