Condition Markers for Tokens & Miniatures

GranMakMorn

First Post
Latest idea

Recently, I acquired a large quantity of D&D miniatures for an incredibly low price. This prompted me to think again about a cheap and easy base for miniatures. Having used washers for the paper tokens, I knew these were a close fit for the miniature base. All I needed was a way to mount a post that was offset from the miniature base. And here it is.
New base.jpg
The base is made from ordinary washers. Since washers are manufactured by stamping, one face has a radius. I place the radius side facing down.
Washers.jpg
I then cut a slot. The slot is deep enough for the pin to sit in, but it doesn't go all the way through.
Slot.jpg
I wanted some thinner posts, so they didn't look as bulky next to a miniature. I used floral pins.
Floral pins.jpg
I cut the floral pin in half and flatten the bends in a vise.
Cut floral pins.jpg
The pin should sit within the slot cut into the washer. A Tiefling demonstrates.
Hold pin.jpg
Now I solder the pin to the washer. Making sure that the pin sticks out past the outside diameter of the washer. This gives clearance for the beads. I file the solder flat. The washer can now be used as is.
Solder.jpg
I spray painted them black. Next I took a miniature and used a low-temp glue gun to attach it to the base. (I tried double-sided tape, but the lip on the bottom of the miniature didn't provide enough contact surface.) This works well and you can still remove the miniature. The glue can be picked off, but sometimes leaves residue in the lettering that won't come out. Also, the glue doesn't stick well to the paint.
Hot glue.jpg Iron Defender.jpg
I wasn't real happy about the hot glue idea. So, I came up with a washer that fits in the bottom of the miniature base. I used a stainless steel washer, since they are thinner than standard washers. This reduces the gap between the miniature and the base. I use double-sided tape to stick it to miniature. Then again to the token base.
Base insert.jpg Insert tape.jpg
This does work well. Also, the miniatures can be removed without damage. The tape sticks well enough to swap miniatures several times. Let the battle begin.
Battle.jpg
In addition, this token holder can be used with the paper tokens.
Regdar2.jpg
Finally, I forgot to mention the type of beads I'm using. They are Perler Beads.
Beads.jpg

DanmarLOK

First Post
I made a lower tech but similar kind of thing. Not nearly as cool looking but I went cheap and functional. :) I went with flags rather than beads though, I needed a flag for the numbers anyway, having to keep asking from my end of the table, "Okay which goblin is that you're hitting?" was slowing things down. (I numbered all my minis on their base). And I didn't want to have to remember what each color stood for so I decided on flags over some other pure color indicator. I can also put the flags on upside down to indicate they last one turn and right side up to indicate it's a save ends. :) I use Alea Tools disks for marked and bloodied and their stick on magnetic disks on the mini's. As an end result everything kind of snaps together and stays put without sliding but you can re-use them infinitely.

But I do really like the look of yours, if I was going to invest more than a couple of dollars I'd be very tempted to go the aluminum and steel route.

Key Our Cars » Blog Archive » 4E Status Markers (follow the link for a picture)

GranMakMorn

First Post
Those are some really good ideas. I especially like the how you solved the problem with "end of turn" & "save ends". I think you've planted a seed in my head for using flags.

buddhafrog

First Post
Keep posting updates of what you create. This was very interesting.

I won't be copying your method b/c it looks like too much work, but I like the ideas and it might spark ideas for me.

Keep posting!

pfloyd

The Dude Abides
I played in a double game a week ago, and we used colored magnetic discs under the figures. Worked out extremely well.

Remove ads