• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Congratulations to the 2017 Gen Con EN World RPG Award Winners!

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 08.42.42.png

2018 Judges

• Brian Nowak
  • Denise Robinson
  • Kurt Weigel
  • Reece Carter
  • Sean McCoy
Best Adventure

Best Aid/Accessory

Best Cover Art

Best Interior Art

Best Blog

Best Cartography

Best Electronic Book

Best Family Game

Best Free Product

Best Game

Best Miniatures Product

Best Monster/Adversary

Best Podcast

Best Production Values

Best RPG Related Product

Best Rules

Best Setting

Best Supplement

Best Website

Best Writing

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher

• Gold: Wizards of the Coast
  • Silver: Chaosium
Product Of The Year

tales_from_the_loop.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 03.40.48.png

Zak S

it's weird to keep seeing people try to claim mainstream publishers are The Man, raking in the dough. I've been doing this for 15 years, I am not well off. The only reason I'm even able to go to Gen Con is because it's work and they cover the travel and rooms.
I never said more mainstream publishers with legacy IP and impressive licenses were raking in the dough.

I'm asking why, with so many structural advantages over the littler guy, you aren't.

Because we're doing alright over here.

But more than that, I want to recognize how generous and engaged and thoughtful the fans have been in taking a chance on something like a Willy-Wonka D&D adventure that's being smeared online as some kind of secret perv project: they are the ones who made this possible, they're the ones who recognize when something is missing, when they're being underserved, when they see new talent.

James and Kiel and Jeff and Mike Evans couldn't just show up and make a decent thing and wrap it in a nice hardcover and expect a rave response: printing is cheap in 2017. We needed fans who realized that they had risked something real (in many cases, due to online backlash, very substantive damage to their means of livelihood, in other cases, simply quitting dayjobs just to write or draw games with absolutely no safety net) in order to bring them something more interesting and more humanly engaged than what you get when freelancers are paid by the word, and it's been gratifying after all these years to see it pay off.

We had a whole hall full of people shouting WE LOVE YOU JEFF--and that means something---it means that all the extra blood sweat and tears people put in can't just be reduced to "one more indie product". We have the attention of the people we made these things for--and that is what matters, because those are the people who will make the next generation of things.

And that's when it becomes a rising tide that lifts all boats--when people stop scrambling for magic tickets and jealously guarding them and start manufacturing them en masse and handing them over to anybody with energy and a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
You are literally describing the history of this business. We all start as fans. We are all inspired by the hard work and sacrifices of those who come before us. We all make spectacular mistakes and occasionally create spectacular things. I wish you'd see that as something we all have in common, from the Ken St Andres and Frank Mentzers of the early days to the Eloy Lasantas and Shoshana Kessocks of today.

Peace,
Cam

Jeffrey Moeller

First Post
On behalf of Stygian Fox, I just wanted to thank everyone who voted for us for making my frickin' year. Steph, Simon and I literally are the guys who get 10K on KSers and do pdfs on DriveThru and had no booth at all. It's still a mountain to climb, but we always say we wouldn't exist without DT and KS and it's true; that's what enables us to have a shot, otherwise the barriers to entry are just too expensive and too high. Yeah, we're all industry freelancers who have been around for a long time and can round up a crew of other long time freelancers and get a book done, and Steph is just plain talented at graphic arts, but we're thrilled to have gone up against the big companies and done well. PS I voted for Blood in the Chocolate as best adventure, congrats again LotFP :)

Zak S

You are literally describing the history of this business. We all start as fans. We are all inspired by the hard work and sacrifices of those who come before us. We all make spectacular mistakes and occasionally create spectacular things I wish you'd see that as something we all have in common, from the Ken St Andres and Frank Mentzers of the early days to the Eloy Lasantas and Shoshana Kessocks of today.

Peace,
Cam

I think when the conversation gets to a thing like "we all occasionally create spectacular things" and all struggles are equal and all mistakes are equal you're no longer talking about human beings, just trying to use language to stop a conversation about specific dynamics going on here and now.

Kiel is a queer creator who wrote a queer adventure and overcame a lot of prejudice about being queer and harassment directed at him because of that and won a mainstream gaming popularity contest. That is a specific struggle with a specific outcome that speaks to the perseverance of a specific talent in the face of specific people who would prefer he specifically fail. And the reasons they want him to fail are worse than many other reasons they might have.

That isn't the story of everyone.

Nor is Shoshana Kessock's story: she overcame tremendous physical disabiity to get where she was and produce the good work she's produced, like "Keeping the Candles Lit". That is also not the story of everyone. To pretend it is would be to do her a disservice.

etc etc

There are real things that really happened in the Ennies in 2017 and real obstacles genuinely overcome by real people. They are all to be commended but not all of their struggles or talents or gambles are equal.

Some creators (like Raggi) have integrity in the face of more powerful people trying to mess with them, some don't. Some creators are wildly original (like Patrick Stuart), some are not. Some are overcoming structural obstacles (like Shoshana), some are not. Some are making work wayyyyy outside what's usually acceptable in the RPG space (like Scrap Princess), some are not.

If we lose track of these things, we lose track of the ability to articulate what is going on at all. We can only speak in platitudes and literally buy nothing or everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zak S

On behalf of Stygian Fox, I just wanted to thank everyone who voted for us for making my frickin' year. Steph, Simon and I literally are the guys who get 10K on KSers and do pdfs on DriveThru and had no booth at all. It's still a mountain to climb, but we always say we wouldn't exist without DT and KS and it's true; that's what enables us to have a shot, otherwise the barriers to entry are just too expensive and too high. Yeah, we're all industry freelancers who have been around for a long time and can round up a crew of other long time freelancers and get a book done, and Steph is just plain talented at graphic arts, but we're thrilled to have gone up against the big companies and done well. PS I voted for Blood in the Chocolate as best adventure, congrats again LotFP :)

I was surprised how few people wanted to pronounce "Stygian". Good job up there!

Cam Banks

Adventurer
There are real things that really happened in the Ennies in 2017 and real obstacles genuinely overcome by real people. They are all to be commended but not all of their struggles or talents or gambles are equal. The world is a complex place.

I'm glad we agree on this.

Cheers,
Cam

Kiel_C

First Post
My ears are burning.

I am overjoyed and incredibly thankful that Blood in the Chocolate won best adventure. This was my first professional TRPG project, and to have it be recognized like this is amazing. My full thank you's are all online here.

I do want to echo Zak's sentiments about me and BitC though. What I've been through since the nomination hasn't been easy.

I'n the past couple months I've been doxed, received dozens of hate messages regarding my sexuality (I'm openly bi), my mental health, my work, my preferences, and I've had to watch a slander campaign rise up against me. And these aren't just 'critiques' of my book, a lot of them are directed at me personally.

While this is a lot for anyone to weather, I have to imagine that having a larger company (even an independent one) at one's back to support their work and their position must make it a little easier to bear. I've had no one in this regard.

All of Blood in the Chocolate's press and marketing is my own (except for what James and Jason have shared on social media on their own time). It's just my blog, my twitter, and my G+ page (all of which are my personal accounts) so when others looked to attack someone over it, they attacked me directly. Not so much LotFP, or even James Raggi, but me personally. And it's been some pretty vile and vicious stuff.

To have my book be recognized as the best adventure of 2017, in spite of everything I've had to deal with, is a wonderful feeling and a big shot in the arm.

Here's the big takeaway: It has also afforded me another chance to encourage independent game designers to pursue their passion projects and to offer all the haters an alternative to their slandering of me: "If you don't like my work, make something better!"

The only big IP-based book that won awards (I think?) this year was CoC, and that :):):):) is public domain anyway! Independent works, books made by a singular weirdo or a handful of people, seem to be garnering more and more attention, financial success, and accolades. If winning an ENnie affords me even just a bit of a platform, I want to use it to shout "Hey! Indie game devs! Now is the time! Write and design and publish the thing you're most passionate about! If I can succeed at this on my first try, so can you!"

Kiel_C

First Post
Thank you! I really appreciate it! And thank you to anyone reading this who voted for BitC too.

Hopefully this isn't too self-aggrandizing, but if anyone here is interested I wrote a blog series about the behind the scenes process of pitching, writing, designing, mapping, laying out, and delivering Blood in the Chocolate. I'm still relatively new to writing TRPGs, but I've noticed almost no one publicly talks about how the sausage gets made beyond an occasional bit of concept art or panel talk.

This is another benefit of working with independent creators: not being tied up in NDA's that don't expire for years. No shade in that statement, just an observation from someone who's been on both sides of that, and appreciates being able to talk about the process after the fact.

mearls

Hero
I never said more mainstream publishers with legacy IP and impressive licenses were raking in the dough.

I'm asking why, with so many structural advantages over the littler guy, you aren't.

Smaller or one-man operations have more advantages over mid-tier publishers than disadvantages.

Example 1: If you sell to distributors, they expect you to commit to and hit specific release dates. Miss them and your product is in trouble - orders cancelled or significantly cut back. If you sell direct to gamers, or sell into distribution after getting a product going, you aren't as wedded to specific dates and timelines. You can take more chances because your risk is lower.

That's one of the reasons why Kickstarter has done so well for RPGs.

Example 2: The day-to-day functions of running a mid-tier publisher fall on a small staff. The dude editing an RPG might also unload a shipment, clean the bathroom, fix that balky desktop PC, and answer email queries from distributors and retailers. The dude doing his own thing has bandwidth to network online, develop a 'net presence, and so on. He doesn't deal with the overhead of running an office in an industrial park with multiple employees.

That's one of many reasons why fame in RPGs is mostly non-existant, compared to other geek things like comics or SF and fantasy novels. Most creators spend a lot of time not creating, and definitely not making names for themselves online.

The big advantages of working for a traditional publisher are a regular paycheck, benefits, exposure to the culture of working in a game company (creating is easy; creating to deadline as part of a team is hard and requires practice), access to work on a licensed property, and no need to risk personal funds to publish something (the company pays to print your work). It's a shorter step to better paying work in video games or other media.

Awards draw a lot of static in RPGs because they are, for the staggering majority of people doing this work, the one chance each year they have at recognition and some applause. At Gen Con, most people working for RPG publishers can expect intense physical labor at the show's open (booths and books don't magically arrange themselves), 8 hours of work each day manning a booth or running demos, and then another bout of physical labor.

It's unfortunate the business end of things evolved this way, but it's where things are stuck.

(FWIW, WotC operates on a very different scale. Jobs on the D&D team are comparable in pay and duties to Hasbro as a whole, or Microsoft or Boeing in the Seattle area. There's a lengthy essay one could write on why the gap between the #1 and #2 firms in RPGs is so vast compared to similar divides in other tabletop categories. It essentially comes down to RPGs' requiring a lot more money to develop than a board game, and their design culture taking a steep bend toward complexity while board games took an equally hard turn in the opposite direction. The complexity thing triggers a ton of other structural and player culture issues.)

Zak S

Smaller or one-man operations have more advantages over mid-tier publishers than disadvantages.

Example 1: If you sell to distributors, they expect you to commit to and hit specific release dates. Miss them and your product is in trouble - orders cancelled or significantly cut back. If you sell direct to gamers, or sell into distribution after getting a product going, you aren't as wedded to specific dates and timelines. You can take more chances because your risk is lower.

That's one of the reasons why Kickstarter has done so well for RPGs.

Example 2: The day-to-day functions of running a mid-tier publisher fall on a small staff. The dude editing an RPG might also unload a shipment, clean the bathroom, fix that balky desktop PC, and answer email queries from distributors and retailers. The dude doing his own thing has bandwidth to network online, develop a 'net presence, and so on. He doesn't deal with the overhead of running an office in an industrial park with multiple employees.

That's one of many reasons why fame in RPGs is mostly non-existant, compared to other geek things like comics or SF and fantasy novels. Most creators spend a lot of time not creating, and definitely not making names for themselves online.

The big advantages of working for a traditional publisher are a regular paycheck, benefits, exposure to the culture of working in a game company (creating is easy; creating to deadline as part of a team is hard and requires practice), access to work on a licensed property, and no need to risk personal funds to publish something (the company pays to print your work). It's a shorter step to better paying work in video games or other media.

Awards draw a lot of static in RPGs because they are, for the staggering majority of people doing this work, the one chance each year they have at recognition and some applause. At Gen Con, most people working for RPG publishers can expect intense physical labor at the show's open (booths and books don't magically arrange themselves), 8 hours of work each day manning a booth or running demos, and then another bout of physical labor.

It's unfortunate the business end of things evolved this way, but it's where things are stuck.

(FWIW, WotC operates on a very different scale. Jobs on the D&D team are comparable in pay and duties to Hasbro as a whole, or Microsoft or Boeing in the Seattle area. There's a lengthy essay one could write on why the gap between the #1 and #2 firms in RPGs is so vast compared to similar divides in other tabletop categories. It essentially comes down to RPGs' requiring a lot more money to develop than a board game, and their design culture taking a steep bend toward complexity while board games took an equally hard turn in the opposite direction. The complexity thing triggers a ton of other structural and player culture issues.)

It's always nice when you stop by to drop some science, Mike.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads