Grading the Mörk Borg System

How Do You Feel About the Mörk Borg System?

• I love it.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 45 58.4%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 3 3.9%

iPwnedMSCS

Explorer
I have run Mörk Borg a lot and really enjoy it. The mechanics are all player facing and fit on two A5 pages.

The vibe is the top and it seems that either you love it or you hate it with no middle ground to speak of.

The third party license is very permissive which is good and has resulted in some amazing things being made. The down side is that there is a lot of dreck to wade through to get to the good stuff.

Don't know if you're intending your list of derived systems in the opening post to be exhaustive or not, but if so there are quite a few that need to be added.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Don't know if you're intending your list of derived systems in the opening post to be exhaustive or not, but if so there are quite a few that need to be added.
I doubt it'll ever be exhaustive, because there are dozens (hundreds?) of systems out there. But I'd like to have a good mix of the most popular ones, the newest ones, the controversial ones.... basically, the ones most likely to generate a good discussion. The idea is to get people talking about non-5E, non-d20 systems, maybe talk some folks into giving them a try.

If you have any recommendations, just let me know and I'll take a look. I try to drop a new survey every 1d3 weeks.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm sure it's a serviceable system, but I can't get past the graphic design choices and the general bleakness.
I will say that, in Pirate Borg at least, the bleakness goes so far around the bend that it comes back around to comedy. If you played the Dark Caribbean straight, it's basically the Cthulhu Mythos endgame, coupled with everyone being coked-up to their eyeballs on the remains of the undead in the ruins of a previous zombie apocalypse.

But in practice, there's slapstick, gross-out horror and more deflating that ton. (I mean, you can play an alcoholic parrot with a pegleg as a PC. There's a lot of humor baked in.)

From what my player has told me, his group plays Mork Borg in a similar fashion. It's cartoon fatalism, not true nihilism.

Remove ads