D&D 5E Considering new ritual spells

Augoeides

First Post
My biggest motivation for making these spells rituals is that they, then, become available to Tome Warlocks. With few exceptions, it just doesn't make sense to require additional invocations over what are currently required for the Tome Warlock to cast rituals.

Li Shenron

Legend
Nah, the biggest mistake is to let the game mechanics get in the way of the narrative.

That's what I always say, but not in this case.

I don't know why, but when talking about "rituals" people always get carried away by the romantic narrative of the word "ritual", and lose sight of what the technical word ritual means in the game.

A ritual in 5e is not just a long and fancy procedure for casting a spell. It's a free spell, as long as you're not in a rush. So if you want the narrative of a Wizard taking a looong time to perform the complicated and meticulous procedure of lighting candles and drawing circles, you should just give the spell a long cast time without making it technically a "ritual". Instead, you should make it a "ritual" by the RAW if you want the spellcaster not to have to spend a slot to cast it.

Horwath

Legend
any spell that has duration of 10min or more and has concetration tag on it wouldn't be too ovepowered as it would prevent stacking on.

Remove ads