• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constables of the 14th Ward Part 3

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

"Now you sound like a handy guy to have around, Tau! I picked up an axe today that definitely has some magical qualities - I don't suppose you have a spell that can tell me exactly what it can do?"

Lou

Explorer
Ederaul Mamier Monk L5

The pudgy half-mountain elf whose clothes are still muddy and ragged looks fresh nevertheless. He looks up from his ale addressing the newcomers, "Greetings friends. I can tell you from recent experience that the health plan is worth every gold piece. The clerics of Meda do a fine job putting you back together. I am Ederaul Mamier, more commonly called Raul (rhymes with hall), a follower of the Undying Way. I train at St. Ebelvrin Center for Patience and Enlightenment. Always good to have more help keeping the 14th Ward safe."

Fenris

Adventurer
The rotund halfling proprietress of the Polished Staff overhears Braz's comment, and can no longer restrain herself: "Now see here, you cheeky Dwarf! These lads have all built up a tremendous account of goodwill here at the 'Staff! And we all know that they work very, very hard! So, if they happen to be hungry or thirsty and drop in when they haven't performed their full ablutions for a bit o' time, we don't sniffle our noses at them and turn away. No! We gives them a spot of bread, a link of stave, and a dram of aqua vitae and counts ouself lucky to have them! The poor, dedicated, hard-working lot. .... And if YOU find yourself so lucky as to be asked to join them, then I'd advise yas to do a lot less jabberin' and a lot more listenin'! If you're not careful, you might actually learn a thing or two from them."

[sblock=Leif] You must learn patience grasshopper. I was merely setting them up. "You boys come in here for drinks right away all dirty and whatnot?" "Yes we do". "Well that sounds fine by me, I may just fit right in" was how I was looking to go with that. But now, well, I must respond to the impertenant halfling :devil: [/sblock]

Braz fixes a Maddie with a stare that she meets for a time but drops. Braz pulls out his bronze badge and places it on the counter. "Seems I have already been asked to join them Madam Halfling. Though perhaps my coin is not welcome here? Or my goodwill? Perhaps you do not want a Constable to frequent your establishment? Perhaps even you wish for me to bring your establishment up with the Guild Council? My good friend Rupert Lunkinberry, the gnomish owner of All That is Read, that fine book store down a few blocks, doesn't like to hear about buisnesses in the 14th tossing out customers. I am sure he would open an inquiry if I asked him to." says Braz coldly picking up his badge.

"But I am sure you merely spoke out of loyalty to your customers, and that I understand and appreciate. So maybe you would find the courtesy to allow me to establish my patronage here before you chastise me, eh? I am sure you treat these fellows well, or they would not come back much less have a room of their own. So I shall join my fellow constables and enjoy your hospitality so long as you extend it." says Braz stiffly as he heads over to Soul Fetter to have a stave.

To Soul Fetter he adds. "I meant that while I may not be glad to be here, I am indeed here. And as to what ruffled our hostesses feathers, if you lot come here for a stout beer straight from the field, well that dedication to alcohol I can appreciate and will enjoy." he says with a rare grin to Soul Fetter.

Finally to Thea he offers greetings and walks over to the door. "This is what I do." he says pointing at the lock. Those nearest it see a fine lock on the door. Ayone who looks can see an engraved door with a pir of boar's heads, recter and sinister, on the blade of a dwarven axe on the door. Above the door reads "Brazkan Locks".

"Let's see I must have made this here lock, about oh 25 years ago I would think. That is what I do, I make locks. A humble locksmith is all I am. Owner of Brazkan Locks. One of the finest lockshops in the city. Well before I shut her down to help you boys, er, lot out" says Braz with a small bow to Thea.

Leif

Adventurer
A message for our wolf:

[sblock=Fenris]You have mistaken me, sir, for Ms. Mattie Bulgar. While this is a not too uncommon occurrence, it is quite simple to tell the difference between us -- she is a portly halfling woman, and I am a not too rotund human male. She is a fictional character, and I am a genuine person. I'm also quite a bit taller than she is. If you apply your not inconsiderable talents to this problem, I am confident that you can reach a suitable solution. She it is with whom you have your beef, not I.[/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
A message for My Phyllogenous DM

[sblock]

Oh I quite understand, but you do speak for Ms. Mattie now don't you ;) You are her counsel so to speak. :D

But I was trying to merely set up an drinking reference which I did manage. I had to hold back on Mattie though. We seem to push each other's buttons ;)

But I do actually want Braz to be able to entr the Staff at a later date so I went easy on her. ANd gave us both a way out. But am also playing Braz as he is, abbrasive and dwarf like, but I am trying to not cross a line, so feel free to let me know to reign it in if I get carried away.
[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Howling at the moon

[sblock=Fenris]I have, indeed, acted as Goodwife Bulgar's counsel on occasion, but this is not a forgone conclusion by any means. She seems to have a tendency to be quite erratic in her payment of legal fees, and we frown on that sort of thing, you know. But, getting back to the point at hand, what you have failed to take into consideration in your planning is that the Polished Staff is Mattie's place, and as such, she feels a sense of responsibility for all of those who are under her roof. She is quite fond of the Special Squad, and she is not going to let ANYONE talk trash about them, or to them, under her roof while drinking her libations. It just ain't-a-gonna happen, man. Have I made myself clear on this point?[/sblock]

KerlanRayne

Explorer
"Now you sound like a handy guy to have around, Tau! I picked up an axe today that definitely has some magical qualities - I don't suppose you have a spell that can tell me exactly what it can do?"
"Of course." Tau gets up and strolls over to SoulFetter's seat. "Lay the axe on the table." Tau brings out some glasses and puts them on before casting a spell. He examines the axe for about a minute, running his hands over it while in deep concentration. [SBLOCK=OOC: DM]Tau casts Detect Magic and uses his Artificier's Monocle to Identify the axe. What does he find?[/SBLOCK]

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=Tau]It is a +2 large great axe of spell storing. Most recently it held cause serious wounds, but it is now empty. He would guess the weapon to be no more than five or ten years old and likely made at the LCA based on the style and markings. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads