• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Contingency Suggestions?

Krafen

First Post
What are some good spells to consider for contingency? I play a wizard who recently gained access to the spell. His caster level is 19, so any spell up to 6th (that affects him) is possible. He also has access to the Protection Domain through Arcane Disciple and has enough Wisdom to cast 6th level divine spells. Pretty much all 3.5e spells from WoTC books are available, but spells that aren't in either the PHB or PGtF would probably have to be researched.

The best idea I've come up with is extended spell resistance triggered by a subtle gesture of some kind.

darthkilmor

First Post
Krafen said:
What are some good spells to consider for contingency? I play a wizard who recently gained access to the spell. His caster level is 19, so any spell up to 6th (that affects him) is possible. He also has access to the Protection Domain through Arcane Disciple and has enough Wisdom to cast 6th level divine spells. Pretty much all 3.5e spells from WoTC books are available, but spells that aren't in either the PHB or PGtF would probably have to be researched.

The best idea I've come up with is extended spell resistance triggered by a subtle gesture of some kind.

Heal if you're under a 30%(20%?) of HP maybe?

Nail

First Post
Krafen said:
First of all: Don't forget the Contigent Spell magic item option. For a few low level spells (like "Cast Cure Light Wounds on me if I am at or below 0 hp." or "Cast Ghost Touch Armor if I am attacked by incorporeal creatures."), the 100gp is well spent. See Complete Arcane.

Second: The spell you activate with Contigency is highly campaign specific. In the campaign I DMed, having an instant out from being grappled was a good idea (Freedom of Movement). In the campaign in which I currently play, having a quick Teleport when disabled, stunned, or dying is the safest bet. ....so, what's yer DM like?

domino

First Post
Well, if you know there's going to be a fight the next day, you could contingency an attack spell to something like "Clap your hands." That way, you've got an extra casting over what you'd normally get for that day.

Nim

First Post
Also, it depends on how your DM interprets the spell.

While linking a Contingency to some specific free action you take (clapping your hands, speaking a specific word, etc) is totally within the letter of the spell description, some DMs will consider it an abuse and only allow Contingencies along the lines of the examples...ones that respond to external events. Check to see what your DM is going to allow before you get too far into making plans.

Jack Simth

First Post
Depends on what you are after - a Contingent Resilient Sphere (minimum caster level on the RS) for when someone attempts to physically injure you can be great for defense - they swing a sword, and BAM - you are protected by a wall of force on all sides. Sure, it's a standard action to get out (unless you have a Quickened Dimension Door prepared ... and at 19th, that's not unreasonable) but it is kinda handy for stopping that full power attack raging orc barbarian charge, or the unexpected sneak attack from the invisible rogue, or just for getting getting out of the line of effect of a Silence spell (poke yourself).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
At 19th level, Mordenkainens disjunction is a serious threat, so contingency/Antimagicshell/if an MD goes off could be a lifesaver, since it only has caster level% chance of taking down the antimagic shell.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Step one: Decide whether you want an aggressive contingency that's almost certain to be triggered each and every encounter or if you want a less aggressive contingency that only goes off under more unusual circumstances.

If you're storming the lich's lair, you don't want your contingency to trigger on the troglodyte doorguards at the entrance to the dungeon and leave you without a contingency when you face the lich himself. So, in that case, you go for a less aggressive contingency that will only trigger under limited circumstances.

OTOH, if you're crafting items, or travelling long distances (for some reason you're not teleporting or shadow walking) and don't expect any trouble, you want to be as ready as possible if trouble shows up on your doorstep. So, you choose an aggressive contingency that is effective against a broad range of threats and triggers in nearly any combat situation.

Step 2: Decide what you want out of the contingency. You can go for specific protection--"freedom of movement if I am grappled"--broad based protection--"displacement/empowered fire shield/greater blink if I am attacked" (make sure your DM interprets "attack as broadly as the invisibility spell does for an aggressive contingency or choose a more specific attack for a less aggressive contingency)--or something that removes you from the combat (otiluke's reslilient sphere (and you might as well heighten it), teleport, etc. With access to some cleric spells, you can also choose restorative magic like "heal if I'm severly injured or incapacitated" The more specific you are the less likely it is to trigger unintentionally.

A contingency that you trigger yourself--"greater blink when I attempt to vocalize 'Pholtus' in elven followed by 'save me' in celestial" for instance--is the most flexible, but it won't help you when you're flatfooted and generally doesn't mesh well with contingencies that protect you from specific attacks. (For instance, it can't save you from a mordenkeinen's disjunction).

Voadam

Legend
Mirror image, great defensive spell to prevent targeting and save you in melee. This use turns the contingency into a free action MI you can do whenever you want, great for getting your defense up quick in a fight.

Dimension door, gets you out of a grapple, a fragile mage's worst predicament.

Remove ads