• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Conversion: 3.x to 4e

Early days I know but it seems we know a fair bit pre-launch; has anyone figured out a nice stream lined way to convert to 4.0? Or if a thread already deals with this?

Background to my question: My players just started 3.5e and are excited for 4e yet they don't want to lose their characters, suggestions? The party is just 2nd level (Tief. Bard / Hum Mage / Fight E.Genas / Aastr Cleric / Changling Thief / W.Elf Monk). As you can see some change will be needed.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
There isn't a way to do a direct mechanical conversion (other than keeping their stats). I would just have them rebuild their characters while keeping the same concept and image in mind.

DeusExMachina

First Post
Yeah, I never understood why people get hung up on "conversion" of their characters. I'd say I usually know my favorite characters well enough to know whether a certain power reflects the character or not. Different rules means different powers and options are going to be applicable, but the core of the character should not be so hard to maintain with enough options...

Okay, if you're playing a druid or a monk that might a bit hard right now, but it will be possible eventually...

Patlin

Explorer
The word on converting characters is that you'll probably want to convert thematically instead of mechanically. In other words, if you want to continue playing a character that's a sneaky guy who uses a sword, comes from Cormyr and is in love with a woman named Josephine, you can use the 4e rules to create a character that matches that description. It's inadvisable to try to convert more specific mechanical abilities.

deathdonut

First Post
A couple things to take into account during a thematic conversion:

- New level should probably be Old-Level * 3 / 2.
- Back out level bonuses and racial bonuses to stats and re-apply the new rules.
- Magic items will have to be re-distributed by the GM.

Other than this, just rebuild from scratch in the same theme.

Gryffyn

First Post
It's such a different game this time around. Aside from some of the core mechanics, the characters won't look much like they did in previous editions. I see why the designers are advising everyone to start new campaigns if possible. If I were to switch to 4e, that's certainly what I'd do. Better to learn the system from level 1, since everything is so new.

AZRogue

First Post
Converting shouldn't be any more difficult than it was to convert 2E multiclassed characters over to 3E. You have to understand the character and convert him thematically.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I would basically agree, and make new 1st level charecters (which will be stronger then the current 2nd levels) that match the themes of the charecters you have now. If level 1 seems to low, you can always give some starting XP (say 500) as a sweatner.

Necromancer games has said they will make an Advanced Players Guide (or something like that) that will have monk, bard, barbarian...but I am not sure you will want to use it. I am a big Necro fan, but using 3rd party stuff in a new game is clearly up to you.

Cyronax

Explorer
AZRogue said:
Converting shouldn't be any more difficult than it was to convert 2E multiclassed characters over to 3E. You have to understand the character and convert him thematically.

Disagree on one point. Spellcasters will especially be different due to the alteration of available spells at different levels (i.e. Mirror Image is now paragon tier). That might not be a big deal to many, but trying to convert a sorcerer into a wizard or warlock (which ever is best thematically) could be difficult if 'trademarked'/frequently used spells go away.

Generally however, re-imagining a world and characters won't be impossible, but it will be a big change. I run a 5-6th level group right now, and I'm debating what to do 1) wrap up the campaign with a bang or 2) de-level them slightly ... maybe 3-4th.

I'll also have to think of some villain to enact a gnomish genocide :( .

But, I do not think that the transition will be as smooth as 2e to 3e. There was a fairly thick conversion manual and many of the abilities and spells didn't make vast power shifts. Likewise the classes remained roughly 1-20 levels with lots of broken stuff and dead levels thrown in.

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Remove ads