• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conversion: Fantasy Rules into Star Frontiers

CleanCutRogue

First Post
Okay - I threw together a quick mock-up of a fantasy map concept. I didn't add mountains or forests or anything because I suck at making maps. This is for someone else to be inspired and run with. I took the star systems that were predominantly Vrusk and made them one land mass. I did the same with the predominant human star systems and yazirian systems. Oddly, there's only one canon dominant dralasite system that I could find... but I made that land mass go off the edge of the map. I didn't explain what the symbols mean, nor did I define what the red connection lines were. Maybe they wouldn't even make sense - but I left them in for your imagination to expand on (ley lines... networks of magical access gates... whatever). I placed the nebulae in the correct spots, but didn't explain them. I hope someone else is better at map making and can run with this!!

http://www.starfrontiersman.com/PDF/FantasyFrontiersMap.pdf

Also... because I'm a nerd like this... I made a pretty logo for the project, though I have to admit it's retro/old-school, not modern. I don't have the original star frontiers font (nobody seems too - boo hoo) so I had to do this myself in Word:

http://www.starfrontiersman.com/PDF/FantasyFrontiersLogo.pdf

-Bill Logan
Referee@StarFrontiersman.com
www.StarFrontiersman.com

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
Very cool on both images. It really is a shame that the font is MIA. I wonder if you contacted WotC, that they might have it available to you somewhere hidden away on a computer file... but more likely considering the era, the whole logo was more likely a simple graphic design, and not really a font at all. The font looks like it would be simple enough to extrapolate out for someone knowledgeable on producing simple fonts, although the character spacing may be a little weird (how the letters overlap each other's space).

smootrk

First Post
I want to share to any who are interested that I do have a document that I am working on with a basic framework already worked out. I am just in the process of filing in information. I don't want to share it openly right now, as it is so early in the process, and very incomplete, but if anyone wants to see a copy of the work in progress, then simply shoot me an email (same profile name @gmail.com) and I will send it to you. Anyone who wants to contribute should feel free to make suggestions, and I would love to share the workload, especially in the creative writing (story and campaign notes) areas.

Last edited:

CleanCutRogue

First Post
smootrk said:
Very cool on both images. It really is a shame that the font is MIA. I wonder if you contacted WotC, that they might have it available to you somewhere hidden away on a computer file... but more likely considering the era, the whole logo was more likely a simple graphic design, and not really a font at all. The font looks like it would be simple enough to extrapolate out for someone knowledgeable on producing simple fonts, although the character spacing may be a little weird (how the letters overlap each other's space).

Someone once told me that they'd seen the font somewhere before, but that's not true. I sent an email to WOTC and asked - they told me it's just a graphic image. There exists a pixely crappy version of the Knight Hawks font in a few places on the net, but I wouldn't use it cuz it sucks. I was making a line-draw of the orignal "Star Frontiers" when I thought I'd make one that said "Fantasy" frontiers because I only had to make up a Y. haha.

I don't think the spacing ("kerning") is a big deal. I've played around with font software before and it's not tooooooo bad. I don't have the patience to create an entire font though, especially since I'd have to make up so many letters. Not to mention the fact that it's not consistent... notice that the "R" in "STAR" is different than the "R" in "Frontiers" in the original logo.

smootrk

First Post
If you were to make the font, those different R's could be setup on another spot like the cyrillic or spanish letters.

Mycanid

First Post
Say Smoot ... I got your email and sent back a reply ... just thought I would say so in here as well. :)

You send the stuff to anyone else yet?

smootrk

First Post
Mycanid said:
Say Smoot ... I got your email and sent back a reply ... just thought I would say so in here as well. :)

You send the stuff to anyone else yet?
Only to Bill at www.StarFrontiersman.com
I am awaiting the forums for his site to be up and running. I imagine that there will be more traffic of interested folks in a forum pretty much devoted to Star Frontiers material. Trying to push SF on an almost exclusively D20 site is an uphill battle, even with the nostalgia of such a great game/setting.

CleanCutRogue

First Post
smootrk said:
Only to Bill at www.StarFrontiersman.com
I am awaiting the forums for his site to be up and running. I imagine that there will be more traffic of interested folks in a forum pretty much devoted to Star Frontiers material. Trying to push SF on an almost exclusively D20 site is an uphill battle, even with the nostalgia of such a great game/setting.

2 weeks my friend... 2 weeks.

Just forums would have been easy. But I wanted a place for a living document to go for collaborative projects, so I figured I'd add a wiki. Then I figured people would want to share artwork and not have to link offsite, so I decided I'd create art galleries. Then I thought for a moment... three passwords and usernames sounds like it's a pretty hodge-podge way to run a site haha. So I found some community-based software and a guy who's a pro at this kind of stuff (literally... he charges for it!) and I'm putting it all under one hat. If it goes the way I hope (even if it starts off slow), I think it'll be a perfect tool for online collaborative project development.

2 weeks!

Mycanid

First Post
Now this should be interesting. We should post a thread in here when that starts ... perhaps it will bring in a few other collaborators. :D

smootrk

First Post
Mycanid said:
Now this should be interesting. We should post a thread in here when that starts ... perhaps it will bring in a few other collaborators. :D
When the new site features become available, you can be sure that I will be pimping that site here on ENWorld (and elsewhere). ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads