• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conversion: Fantasy Rules into Star Frontiers

smootrk

First Post
enelson said:
Interesting discussion on converting SF to a Fantasy system.

The one issue I had with SF was the armor system. I noticed by reading this thread that armor will stop a percentage of points. Did you consider a random armor protection roll (ala Stormbringer)?

For example, let's say a sword does 3d10 then you could have chain stop 3d10 points of damage. Thoughts?

For magic, rather than having spell points what about a Spell roll. If you make it, the spell fires; if you fail, then you suffer fallout (maybe take xd10 in damage).

Keep up the brilliant work!

Thanks!

Eric
Thanks for the praise. I have been derailed by some real world constraints lately, so progress has stopped for a time. However, when Bill (CleanCutRogue) Logan gets the forums up over at StarFrontiersman.com , I plan to move this disscussion over there where I might get more input like yours.

As to your suggestions, good ideas. I will explore them... especially the Armor method as I am not impressed with the armor rules developed as of now. Your idea is rather simple compared to the mathematical mess that exist now, so I feel you are onto something!

Be sure to visit the SFman site periodically and when its forums are up, jump in and participate. I am hoping that this can become a bit more of a collaborative effort.

CleanCutRogue

First Post
smootrk said:
Thanks for the praise. I have been derailed by some real world constraints lately, so progress has stopped for a time. However, when Bill (CleanCutRogue) Logan gets the forums up over at StarFrontiersman.com , I plan to move this disscussion over there where I might get more input like yours.

As to your suggestions, good ideas. I will explore them... especially the Armor method as I am not impressed with the armor rules developed as of now. Your idea is rather simple compared to the mathematical mess that exist now, so I feel you are onto something!

Be sure to visit the SFman site periodically and when its forums are up, jump in and participate. I am hoping that this can become a bit more of a collaborative effort.

I'm workin on it... real life keeps getting in the way - and just when I clear up enough time to work on the site, I run into end-of-month-crunch time with the webzine. I keep getting tempted to put up a simple forum and be done with it. I will try to work hard on the site's collaborative subsystems all this week. I've recently been heavily encouraged and some time has opened up for me... and wow, it's not end-of-month-crunch time yet. :)

Mycanid

First Post
CleanCutRogue said:
I'm workin on it... real life keeps getting in the way - and just when I clear up enough time to work on the site, I run into end-of-month-crunch time with the webzine. I keep getting tempted to put up a simple forum and be done with it. I will try to work hard on the site's collaborative subsystems all this week. I've recently been heavily encouraged and some time has opened up for me... and wow, it's not end-of-month-crunch time yet. :)

Real life eh? :D

Ah well ... will you post in here ( or maybe smootrk will?) when it gets up and functional as you two hope? :cool:

Mycanid

First Post
Just a few random thoughts here....

enelson said:
Interesting discussion on converting SF to a Fantasy system.

The one issue I had with SF was the armor system. I noticed by reading this thread that armor will stop a percentage of points. Did you consider a random armor protection roll (ala Stormbringer)?

For example, let's say a sword does 3d10 then you could have chain stop 3d10 points of damage. Thoughts?

One of the things I actually LIKED about SF WAS the armor system. Simply b/c it made sense to me that armor and force shields and such cannot last for ever - especially with lasers and big explosions and such smacking into them....

What is the ... err ... "logic" behind a "random armor protection roll"? And what are the plusses and minuses to such a thing?

enelson said:
For magic, rather than having spell points what about a Spell roll. If you make it, the spell fires; if you fail, then you suffer fallout (maybe take xd10 in damage).

Only problem with this would be an inherent diversion AWAY from using magic. Usually weapons don't particularly explode in your hands, so why should magic?

UNLESS it could be used as a variant for rarer types of the arcane, just as "explosive equipment checks" would (to me) make sense if one is fiddling with technology made, say, by sentient gaseous beings or such like - really far out or rare stuff someone would have no clue even where to begin to appraise or understand it.

They used a similar "explosive equipment checks" both in the early DnD module S3 and early Gamma World rules, if I remember correctly....

Mycanid

First Post
Gave a plug for the site over at CM ... couple of old time rpg'ers there too a lot more rules savvy than I am. Hope it helps to increase feedback in development! :D

Any updates?

smootrk

First Post
I haven't had a chance to do anything with this lately. I am hoping that when the StarFrontiersman Forum goes up, there will be a lot of initial interest in that site, and lots of new suggestions from people outside the current loops. Anyhow, this isn't forgotten, just on pause.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads