Conversion: WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins

sfedi

First Post
Maybe if I make it the best Balance roll of linked PCs?
I'm not following you here.

When is the best roll taken? What each PC is doing?

In case I wasn't clear, I'll repeat what I proposed:

In a turn a PC can do:
- Balance Check DC 15 to advance 1/4
- Balance Check DC 15 to make another PC advance 1/4
(helping PC must be on the same quarter or one quarter ahead)

This, in effect, could make a PC advance two times in a round.

I do believe their are many more options than just combatting the ogres if the party draws their attention, but I don't think there is enough of a risk or reward to make it a skill challenge.
Again, you lost me here.

What do you mean? That it isn't worth doing this skill challenge?

You could make the SC worth it, so this effort isn't wasted.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
SKILL CHALLENGE #2
Crossing the Bridge
Level 1, Complexity 1 (100 XP) [4 successes before 3 failures]

A narrow natural bridge connects the plateau the three towers are built upon to the surrounding countryside. Its unbound sides cause vertigo and a sense of forboding. Crossing the 300' bridge will be a difficult task at best.

Mandatory Skill:
Balance DC 10 - Each round spent crossing the bridge requires the character to make a balance check. The character may crawl to receive a +5 bonus to this check, but this imposes an automatic failure in addition to any normal success or failure. Characters can automatically Aid Another by providing support for each other by holding hands or tying ropes between characters. Using a teleportation effect grants an automatic success in addition to normal success or failure. Flight grants two automatic successes and the character does not make a balance check for each full round of flight.

If the party has more successes than failures each round award a success, otherwise the party earns a failure.

After 1 failure the party notices movement at the ogre camp and realizes that they have drawn the attention of the ogres. New skill uses open at this point. These skills can be used in addition to the mandatory Balance check.

Diplomacy DC 20 - The ogres aren't really open to peacful contact, but a well thought out appeal might convince the ogres to let the group pass.

Bluff DC 10 - The ogres sent to investigate are quite dumb and a reasonable bluff can earn the party's passage.

Intimidate 15 - The ogres aren't easily intimidated, but they don't necessarily want to get into an unnessesary scuffle.

Success: Each individual success on a Balance check brings a character 1/4 of the way across the bridge. Overall success in the skill challenge gets the party past the ogre encampment safely.

Failure: The characters are approached by three ogre thugs from the ogre lair in the ruins of the Tower of Zagig.

A rethink of the skill challenge. Thanks to sfedi!

Remove ads