• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conversions of old spells and magic items?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
exactly, you do never know. :) so, scott, did you like the looks of those documents posted on page 2 (towards the bottom)?

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Halivar said:
I would gladly start converting stuff, but I have no permenant web-space. Is there anyone who would like to graciously donate space on a web-site for a 1e-2e spell conversion list?

Or you just get some own - there's free webspace out there.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Casting revive thread...

My Spell Compendiums are still in a box, but I borrowed my DM's copy of volume 1 and did just a couple conversions. Please feel free to comment, as these are my first conversions.

First, to go through BOZ' original list: advanced illusion was renamed as persistent image in 3e. Create water is in the 3.5 PHB, as is Drawmij's Instant Summons.

Second, a few conversions:

Confuse Languages
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 1, Cleric 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One creature or written text
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell renders writing, or a creature’s speech, incomprehensible. Confuse languages counters and dispels comprehend languages.
Material Components: A pinch of soot and a few grains of salt.
Source: AD&D Wizard’s Spell Compendium, Volume 1
Notes: Added saving throw, as befits a first level spell of this power.

Destroy Water
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 1, Druid 2
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Up to 2 gallons of water/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to instantly evaporate an amount of water as detailed above. Living creatures cannot be the target of this spell.
Notes: Since create water can’t create water within a living creature, I figured destroy water shouldn’t destroy water within a creature, either.

Detect Life
Divination
Level: Cleric 1, Druid 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Range: 10 ft./level (maximum 60 ft.)
Area: Cone-shaped emanation
Duration: 5 minutes (D)

By use of this spell, the caster can determine if a creature is alive, including a creature in a coma or trance, or under the influence of a feign death spell. Any form of mental protection blocks this spell, as does any thickness of metal. An inch of stone or wood is treated as 10 feet of open space for the purpose of determining whether this spell functions.
Material Components: A holy symbol and a hair from the head of a newborn animal.
Notes: Deathwatch (Cleric 1, PHB) is similar, but is Necromancy [Evil] and gives a feeling for how many hit points the subject has. There certainly seems to be a place for a good version of this spell. Change duration to 1 round/lvl? Make it cleric/druid only?

Last edited:

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
So, if I understand the ESDpolicy correctly (and that probably isn't the case, being that I am not exactly leagally savvy :D ) then that would mean:

One could make a site with old spells re-done as d20 system OGC (provided they strip all PI from them)?

If the above is correct, I'm still a little confused as to what you can apply it to. The ESDpolicy only applies to publications specifically released as ESD, is that correct? You could not convert something that has not been released as an ESD?

I'm realizing that I may not know exactly what constitutes and ESD. Did Wizards license these specifically, or can one legally make an ESD out of any older product? I see third party sites selling them, I assume Wizards takes a cut there somehow.

---

I would be interested in a product to convert the old Wizard and Priest spell compendiums to 3rd edition. Granted many of the spells in there are now standard fare in the 3.5 PHB and other supplements, but there is still a vast array of spells that haven't seen the light of day since 2nd editon.

I can volunteer web space and elbow grease to get this off the ground.

martynq

Explorer
Just discovered this thread (which I guess answers my question which I posted yesterday about structure to conversion of things other than monsters)... so it's just as well that Eridanis bumped it. I'd gladly help with some spell conversions (in addition to other things)... I've been looking at some of them myself.

One small observation about BOZ's list above: The 1e illusionist spell Alter Reality is just an illusionist version of Limited Wish, I think, so is essentially unnecessary to convert. This was one thing you will find with 1e spells - there are illusionist spells that are just wizard spells renamed, so they will need no conversion.

Martyn

herald

First Post
Eridanis said:
Casting revive thread...

My Spell Compendiums are still in a box, but I borrowed my DM's copy of volume 1 and did just a couple conversions. Please feel free to comment, as these are my first conversions.

First, to go through BOZ' original list: advanced illusion was renamed as persistent image in 3e. Create water is in the 3.5 PHB, as is Drawmij's Instant Summons.

Second, a few conversions:

Confuse Languages
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 1, Cleric 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Range: Touch
Target: One creature or written text
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell renders writing, or a creature’s speech, incomprehensible. Confuse languages counters and dispels comprehend languages.
Material Components: A pinch of soot and a few grains of salt.
Notes: Added saving throw, as befits a first level spell of this power.

Destroy Water
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 1, Druid 2
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Up to 2 gallons of water/level
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell allows you to instantly evaporate an amount of water as detailed above. Living creatures cannot be the target of this spell.
Notes: Since create water can’t create water within a living creature, I figured destroy water shouldn’t destroy water within a creature, either.

Detect Life
Divination
Level: Cleric 1, Druid 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Range: 10 ft./level (maximum 60 ft.)
Area: Cone-shaped emanation
Duration: 5 minutes (D)

By use of this spell, the caster can determine if a creature is alive, including a creature in a coma or trance, or under the influence of a feign death spell. Any form of mental protection blocks this spell, as does any thickness of metal. An inch of stone or wood is treated as 10 feet of open space for the purpose of determining whether this spell functions.
Material Components: A holy symbol and a hair from the head of a newborn animal.
Notes: Deathwatch (Cleric 1, PHB) is similar, but is Necromancy [Evil] and gives a feeling for how many hit points the subject has. There certainly seems to be a place for a good version of this spell. Change duration to 1 round/lvl? Make it cleric/druid only?

I think perhaps that Confuse Languages should have verbage on weather or not it affects a victim's spell casting ability, Bardic ability and the like.

Other than that, it looks good.

dristin

First Post
Spell Compendium

Does anyone have a list that has the spells that were converted from 2nd edition to 3.5 and what they are called.

I am specifically interested in the Wizard Spell Compendiums Vol. 1-4 in second edition.

Mortis

First Post
Talking about spell conversion, were there any official guidelines etc. to converting spells from OD&D/2ed to 3.0/3.5?

Regards,
Mortis

the Jester

Legend
Mortis said:
Talking about spell conversion, were there any official guidelines etc. to converting spells from OD&D/2ed to 3.0/3.5?

Regards,
Mortis

Hmmm... not that I have seen... though the original 2e-->3e conversion doc had a list of new spell equivalents and some few notes on what not to convert, iirc (but it's been a really long time since I looked at it).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads