• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Converting 5e to 1e

spideyfan1972

First Post
Is it even possible to easily convert between the two? The early stuff for 5e looks interesting, but I'm not ready to invest a lot into it.

As you pointed out, there isn't a whole lot out for 5E right now. I am in the process of converting some classic 1E modules TO 5E because of this but going the other way there isn't much to convert.

Even if there was much material to convert, there is SO MUCH 1E material already out there that it would hardly seem worth the effort.

Remathilis

Legend
Is it even possible to easily convert between the two? The early stuff for 5e looks interesting, but I'm not ready to invest a lot into it.

Can you convert from 1e to 5e? Sure. Many people are working on guides for it. 90% of the 1e MM is in the 5e one, as is all the classes and races. (Save some of the UA ones). The DMG will give additional rules on tweaking 5e to match AD&D in terms of healing, XP, and such.

Can you convert 5e to 1e? I guess. I don't see much point. Spells will convert (though you might need to think about spells that up with spell slot becoming Caster level spells), monsters just need inverse AC and a hp/damage reduction. I guess Warlock could convert back too, as could the races like tiefling and dragonborn. Its always doable, but I'm not sure the effort would be as worth it.

Crothian

First Post

It really depends on what you are converting. Converting modules and monsters is usually pretty easy between all the editions of and variations of D&D. Classes and character options are always trickier and much more difficult.

Li Shenron

Legend

What early stuff? If you mean races and (sub)classes I think it is possible.

IIRC 1e tended to have slower numerical progressions, so I presume this is more similar to 5e than to 3e/4e. If you are interested in porting 5e classes and subclasses to 1e, you can use the same progressions (attacks, saves etc.) as the most similar 1e classes, and just port the additional (sub)class features as their are. Not all of these may work, so keep an eye open. Races should be even simpler.

I also think that the whole skills/backgrounds system could be ported as-is, if you are interested in the 5e version of it.

Remove ads