TSR What TSR-era D&D material do you still put to use in your 5E games?

MGibster

Legend
I've used Planescape and especially Forgotten Realms extensively. I set a campaign in Daggerford which was between Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep. Good times.

Cruentus

Adventurer
All the Moonshaes material I could find, starting with the FR Grey Box. I ran a sandbox campaign starting around 900 DR, so 500 or so years prior to current day in the Moonshaes. It was gritty dark ages. It was a lot of fun spinning out what was happening, what was around, and what wasn’t (yet).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So just to also participate in my own thread, I have run several adventures from the early editions in my 5E games.
Leaving aside the Ghosts of Saltmarsh conversions of some of my favorite 1E modules (U1-2-3), I have also run
  • N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God (which I "remixed" in the first three issues of my zine)
  • T1 - The Village of Hommlet (I have the Goodman Games conversion, but I find the 1E version easier to use)
  • "The Bandits of Bunglewood" (2E - from Dungeon #51 [1995])
  • "A Wizard's Fate" (2E - from Dungeon #37 [1992])
  • "And a Dozen Eggs" (2E - from Dungeon #30 [1991])
  • "The Whale" (2E - from Dungeon #35 [1992])
  • "Song of the Fens" (2E - from Dungeon #40 [1993])
  • "The Wayward Wood" (2E - from Dungeon #32 [1991])
  • "The Matchmakers" (1E - from Dungeon #7 [1987])
  • "Roarwater Caves"(1E - from Dungeon #15 [1989])
Furthermore, I use the gems and jewelry tables from the 1E DMG, among other charts and info from that amazing tome.

Counts in my book!
For that matter does my own seven level exploration megadungeon explicitly inspired by Thracia and old school dungeon crawling? (And even if it's not running XP for GP the explicit rule to reward exploration and based on the same idea is that you level up by making it to a new floor of the dungeon then getting back to base camp.)

Remove ads