• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim and Oriental Adventures creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like the six tentacles, but I have to say I prefer the stun on two or more tentacle hits. With it being always on, and getting 6 attacks a round, it could easily stun entire parties unless they all had freedom of movement up (or does that not protect against stunning?).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about on a single critical hit? I guess if it doesn't require a critical, I'll agree to a rend-like behavior.

Cleon

Legend
I like the six tentacles, but I have to say I prefer the stun on two or more tentacle hits. With it being always on, and getting 6 attacks a round, it could easily stun entire parties unless they all had freedom of movement up (or does that not protect against stunning?).

I don't think Freedom of Movement protects against stunning, I believe you need an effect that resists critical hits or specific stun-resistance.

Anyhow, I'd accept two or more tentacle hits for the Stun, although I don't mind the roll per hit. If we do go for 2+ strikes I would still like to allow for a critical hit - maybe two regular strikes or a critical?

Something like:
Stunning Strike (Ex): Any creature struck with a critical hit by an Umibozu's tentacle-slam, or hit by two or more tentacle-slams in the same round, must make a DC 26 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 1 round (until just before the Umibozu's next action), or for 1d4 rounds on a critical hit. The duration of multiple Stunning Strikes is not cumulative. Creatures immune to critical hits can not be stunned by this attack. The save DC is Wisdom-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I'd rather have it be with 2 hits or a single critical. One or the other, not both. It's getting a bit messy, and most monsters do use that kind of either/or that we're talking about.

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd rather have it be with 2 hits or a single critical. One or the other, not both. It's getting a bit messy, and most monsters do use that kind of either/or that we're talking about.

Well I'll leave it up to you lot as to whether to go double-tap or critical, especially as I still prefer the original single-hit stunning.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wow, we're all over the board on our opinions on this!

I don't care for Wis-based on the tentacles. I know monks and stunning fist use it, but this also doesn't use unarmed strikes, so it isn't very monklike anyway. The Wis-based DC will just be too low for a creature of its power.

If we limit it to stunning for 1 round, then I'm fine with it doing it on every hit. If we go with the more appropriate for its CR 2d4 or 2d6 rounds, then I could see limiting it to the rendlike 2 hit format. If we limit it to critical hits, let's make the duration heavy.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Any other SAs or SQs?

Well Yokai commonly have the ability to become invisible or intangible, and there's many mentions of the Umiboze "rising suddenly out of the water" (presumably with no one being able to see it beforehand).

So, maybe it can assume a Watery Form, like a gaseous form except it can Swim at full speed and must stay in contact with seawater, and if it is completely immersed in water it is effectively invisible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads