• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim and Oriental Adventures creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We gave something a similar ability. Let me see: from the undine, we have

Water Transparency (Ex): An undine's transparent body grants it total concealment underwater.

Sound about right? I'm not sure if it needs a gaseous form SA or not.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I don't like it. Umibozu are giant rubbery things with no mentioned powers of invisibility. They're surprising when they rise out of the water and attack your ship, but krakens, sea serpents, etc don't have any invisibility powers. Keep 'em visible, I say!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gotta go with Demiurge here. It's always surprising when a massive monstrosity surfaces beneath or next to your ship!

Here's a little more on umibozu...

UmibÅzu ~ æµ·åŠä¸»ã€€ï¼ˆã†ã¿ã¼ã†ãšï¼‰ ~ part of The Obakemono Project: An Online Encylopedia of YÅkai and Bakemono
Umibōzu Totally Explained
The Mystery of the Sea Clergy « Dr. Donald Ryles-Paranormal,Alternative,Celebrity,Strange, & More-NEWS BLOG

Based on that, I think we're pretty much done with special abilties. It sounds like strong support for ranks in Intimidate.

Skills: Intimidate 25, 25 more ranks

Feats: 8 (1 can be epic)

freyar

I'm convinced, no invisibility. But we could put some of those ranks in Hide, though maybe Spot is a better use for them.

Aim for Overwhelming Critical as the epic feat?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Overwhelming Critical would lock in feats for Power Attack, Imp. Crit, Weapon Focus, Great Cleave and Cleave. But the +1d6 damage isn't all that impressive--Overwhelming Critical is only good if it's a prereq for Devestating Critical. So that leaves us with... Fast Healing for the epic feat? Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine) option, allowing it rip apart anything it encounters. Along those same lines, I can definitely see Improved Sunder as one of the regular feats. Awesome Blow seems appropriate as well.

freyar

Actually, do many critters have DR X/adamantine? Because Penetrate Damage Reduction doesn't grant other qualities of the material, meaning it wouldn't help bypass hardness. But Improved Sunder is a good idea.

Ok, then: Awesome Blow, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, ????

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point. You probably won't find many golems on board ships.

I'd suggest Epic Sunder, but alas it requires Epic Prowess as a bonus feat. :(

freyar

And unfortunately Snatch requires claws or a bite. :(

What about Imp Init and Superior Init? That would leave 3 more regular feats.

Cleon

Legend
Overwhelming Critical would lock in feats for Power Attack, Imp. Crit, Weapon Focus, Great Cleave and Cleave. But the +1d6 damage isn't all that impressive--Overwhelming Critical is only good if it's a prereq for Devestating Critical. So that leaves us with... Fast Healing for the epic feat? Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine)?

Don't much care for Overwhelming Critical or Penetrate Damage Resistance, not much bang for the buck.

Fast Healing seems a good pick.

I'd fancy Exceptional Deflection (assuming we're giving it Deflect Arrows already), except it doesn't have the Dex prerequisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads