• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim and Oriental Adventures creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
You are correct. I got my abilities confused. :blush:

How's this?

Crushing Blow (Ex): As a full-round action, an umibozu can set up vibrations within the hull of a boat, then smash the vessel to splinters. The ship is hit automatically, taking slam damage. The ship's pilot must make a Reflex saving throw (DC 20) after each hit to keep the vessel from being breached and sinking in 1d10 minutes. Apply a modifier to the DC based on the type of ship: rowboat +4, keelboat +2, sailing ship or longship +0, warship -3, galley -5. Regardless of the ship's saving throw result, characters aboard the ship must make Reflex saving throws (DC 20); a successful save means the character takes 1d4 points of damage; on a failed save, a character on deck is hurled overboard and a character belowdecks takes 2d4 points of damage.

Cleon

Legend

I still have serious doubts about making these chaps Undead. They're Yokai, so I think they are more goblin-spirit than damned soul. Maybe Outsider or a Magical Beast with the Spirit subtype from the 3rd edition version of Oriental Adventures?

Do we want to give 'em any monklike abilities?

Slam attacks or unarmed strikes?

One word.

Tentacles!

How about 8 tentacle-slams, with the Stunning Fist (monk version) and Deflect Arrows feats? Maybe Improved Grab and Constrict?

A Gargantuan 20th level monk would do 6d8 damage per unarmed strike, since a Large 20th level monk does 4d8, but only gets 5 attacks with flurry of blows. A Kraken has 2 tentacles for 2d8+Str, 6 arms for 1d6+half, plus a 4d6+half beak, but a Gargantuan Giant Squid has 10 tentacles for 1d8+Str and a 3d8+half bite.

I think it'd be easier just to give it 2d10 or 4d8 damage like a standard or oversized 20th+ level Monk.

Cleon

Legend
You are correct. I got my abilities confused. :blush:

How's this?

Crushing Blow (Ex): As a full-round action, an umibozu can set up vibrations within the hull of a boat, then smash the vessel to splinters. The ship is hit automatically, taking slam damage. The ship's pilot must make a Reflex saving throw (DC 20) after each hit to keep the vessel from being breached and sinking in 1d10 minutes. Apply a modifier to the DC based on the type of ship: rowboat +4, keelboat +2, sailing ship or longship +0, warship -3, galley -5. Regardless of the ship's saving throw result, characters aboard the ship must make Reflex saving throws (DC 20); a successful save means the character takes 1d4 points of damage; on a failed save, a character on deck is hurled overboard and a character belowdecks takes 2d4 points of damage.

The "then smash the vessel to splinters" doesn't fit the start of the first sentence, and I think it's better to state the damage. I'd suggest:
Crushing Blow (Ex): As a full-round action, an umibozu can set up vibrations within the hull of a boat that can split its hull asunder. The ship is hit automatically, taking XdY+Z slam damage. The ship's pilot must make a Reflex saving throw (DC 20) after each hit to keep the vessel from being breached and sinking in 1d10 minutes. Apply a modifier to the DC based on the type of ship: rowboat +4, keelboat +2, sailing ship or longship +0, warship -3, galley -5. Regardless of the ship's saving throw result, characters aboard the ship must make Reflex saving throws (DC 20); a successful save means the character takes 1d4 points of damage; on a failed save, a character on deck is hurled overboard and a character belowdecks takes 2d4 points of damage.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think the pilot should make a Profession (sailing) check instead of a Ref save, and I think all the DCs should be Str-dependent.

Some number of tentacle slams sounds good, though I might go with 4 or 6 just so as not to step on the octopus's toes.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Stunning fist only works with unarmed strikes, so let's just give it a stun special ability, like this...

Stunning Strike (Ex): Any creature struck with a critical hit by a zeuglodon's tail slam must make a DC 31 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 2d4 rounds by the force of the blow. The save DC is Strength-based.

Or this...

Stunning Strike (Ex): Any creature that is critically hit by a glacierdrak's bite or claw attack must make a DC 50 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 2d6 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Drop the duration of the stun to 1d4 rounds, perhaps. Make it struck by two or more tentacles? Sort of a stunning rend?

freyar

Depends on how tough these should be. They do have 22HD, so I'd say only 1 tentacle needed if we drop the duration.

Cleon

Legend
And I agree to only four tentacle slams.

Could I persuade you to make it six slams, in honour of the fearsome Harryhausen Hexapus?

Updated.

Stunning fist only works with unarmed strikes, so let's just give it a stun special ability, like this...

Stunning Strike (Ex): Any creature struck with a critical hit by a zeuglodon's tail slam must make a DC 31 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 2d4 rounds by the force of the blow. The save DC is Strength-based.

Or this...

Stunning Strike (Ex): Any creature that is critically hit by a glacierdrak's bite or claw attack must make a DC 50 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 2d6 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.

Stunning Strike as a SA works for me, but I'd prefer it to be closer to the Stunning Fist feat, especially having it occur more often than once per critical. How about:
Stunning Strike (Ex): Any creature that is struck by an Umibozu's tentacle slam must make a DC 26 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned for 1 round (until just before the Umibozu's next action), or for 1d4 rounds on a critical hit. The duration of multiple Stunning Strikes is not cumulative. Creatures immune to critical hits can not be stunned by this attack. The save DC is Wisdom-based.
You'll notice I've changed the controlling ability to Wisdom, like Stunning Fist.

freyar

That looks like an MST3K movie, so I'll have to go for 6 tentacles just on that basis!

I could go with either form of stunning strike, but Cleon's is definitely more monkish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads