Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Could we use something similar to the Hyena's trip?

Trip (Ex): A hyena that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the hyena.

Alternatively, we can give the saluqi another bonus feat... either Improved Grapple or Improved Overrun.

I'd actually like it to be a group effort. Maybe some combination of pack tactics with trip?

Cleon

Legend
Back to the saluqi, shall we work on the "group overrun and stunning attack"?

Also, since they originally had 120 ft. infravision, should we give the magical beast version superior low-light vision (in addition to infallible tracking)?

Superior low-light vision is a fine idea, but I'd like to give them high grade darkvision (120 ft.?) as well.

Cleon

Legend
Could we use something similar to the Hyena's trip?

Trip (Ex): A hyena that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the hyena.

Well it's a start.

I'm reluctant to give them standard Trip, since it doesn't give much to distinguish them from ordinary canines.

How can we tweak it to make it distinctive, and reflective of the original's mobbing attack.

freyar

I agree that it needs to be more unique and definitely require multiple of them. Making it more like an overrun would probably help, too.

Could we somehow modify the selkie's boat overturning ability?

Number 6

First Post
How can we tweak it to make it distinctive, and reflective of the original's mobbing attack.
It doesn't need to be Trip... I just grabbed the hyena text for a handy sample. We could make the Saluqi Takedown require four saluqi for the attack on a Medium target (maybe two on a Small target).

Could the results could be an Overrun or an automatic Pin Grapple? Give them the choice to take their target down and get in some bites or to knock 'em prone for their master to deal with.

freyar

Here's a thought. What about modifying stampede?
SRD said:
Stampede (Ex): A frightened herd of bison flees as a group in a random direction (but always away from the perceived source of danger). They literally run over anything of Large size or smaller that gets in their way, dealing 1d12 points of damage for each five bison in the herd (Reflex DC 18 half ). The save DC is Strength-based

That actually reads a lot like the original text. I'm not sure of a good name, but it could be something like

"Overbear" (Ex): A pack of four or more saluqi can literally run over any creature of Medium (?) size or smaller in their path. Each overborn creature must make a DC X Ref/Fort? save or be knocked prone. Prone creatures overborn by a pack of saluqi take XdX damage from the dogs' bites (DC X Ref save for half). The save DC is Str-based.

I dropped the bit about ruining all casting and will just go with the Concentration check rules.

Cleon

Legend
It doesn't need to be Trip... I just grabbed the hyena text for a handy sample. We could make the Saluqi Takedown require four saluqi for the attack on a Medium target (maybe two on a Small target).

Could the results could be an Overrun or an automatic Pin Grapple? Give them the choice to take their target down and get in some bites or to knock 'em prone for their master to deal with.

Yes, something similar to an Overrun + Pin was what I was thinking off. Care to rough out a writeup?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's a thought. What about modifying stampede?

That actually reads a lot like the original text. I'm not sure of a good name, but it could be something like

"Overbear" (Ex): A pack of four or more saluqi can literally run over any creature of Medium (?) size or smaller in their path. Each overborn creature must make a DC X Ref/Fort? save or be knocked prone. Prone creatures overborn by a pack of saluqi take XdX damage from the dogs' bites (DC X Ref save for half). The save DC is Str-based.

I dropped the bit about ruining all casting and will just go with the Concentration check rules.

I like this!

Number 6

First Post
Let's let the saluqi trample/stampede and a combo of overrun/pin. :cool:
Yes, something similar to an Overrun + Pin was what I was thinking off. Care to rough out a writeup?
We could let the pack of saluqi Overrun or Grapple/Pin as one creature...

Pack Overrun (Ex): A pack of four saluqi may attempt to overrun as one Large sized creature. The pack overrun prevents a Medium-sized or smaller opponent from avoiding the overrun. In addition, if the pack successfully overruns its opponent the pack may immediately end its movement in the opponent's square and pin the opponent. Pinning in subsequent rounds still requires successful opposed grapple checks.

Cleon

Legend
Let's let the saluqi trample/stampede and a combo of overrun/pin. :cool:

We could let the pack of saluqi Overrun or Grapple/Pin as one creature...

Pack Overrun (Ex): A pack of four saluqi may attempt to overrun as one Large sized creature. The pack overrun prevents a Medium-sized or smaller opponent from avoiding the overrun. In addition, if the pack successfully overruns its opponent the pack may immediately end its movement in the opponent's square and pin the opponent. Pinning in subsequent rounds still requires successful opposed grapple checks.

That looks a decent start.

I think we'd better give more numerous Saluqi a better chance of Overrunning. Maybe instead of the standard +4 for a Large creature, it gets +1 per Saluqi with a maximum number equal to whoever many saluqi can surround the target (e.g. max +8 for a Small or Medium target, +12 for a Large target, +16 for a Huge target, +20 for a Gargantuan target and +28 for a Colossal target).

We could simplify it to +24 for a Colossal target or just cap it at a Huge target, since if we make the pack equivalent to a Large creature it can't overrun a Gargantuan+ target.

Remove ads