ARMOR CLASS: 4
MOVE: 12”
HIT DICE: 6+6
% IN LAIR: 15%
TREASURE TYPE: B, Q (x2)
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1 bite or 1 weapon
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 4-16 or by weapon type
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Diseased bite
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Cold iron or magic weapons needed to hit (immune to silver); surprised only on a 1
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Average
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil
SIZE: L (8' tall)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil
LEVEL/X.P. VALUE: VI/600 + 8/hp

Ghuuna (the form is singular and plural) are related to gnolls in much the same way that lycanthropes are related to humans. However, ghuuna are the result of a special quasi-lycanthropy created by Yeenoghu that affects only gnolls, causing them to shapechange into a hyaenodon form. Ghuuna are affected by stress and the phases of the moon in much the same manner that lycanthropes are.

In their normal (unchanged) form, ghuuna appear to be large gnolls. In this form they shun armor and usually carry swords as weapons. In hyaenodon form, ghuuna can deliver a crushing bite for 4-16 points. In addition, their bite will inflict "ghuunism" among gnolls in the same manner that lycanthropy is spread by regular were-creatures; humans, demi-humans, and humanoids (other than gnolls) who are bitten must save vs. poison or be affected as if by a cause disease spell, which can be cured by a cure disease spell or similar magic. In both forms, ghuuna have 90' infravision and acute senses of hearing and smell that act together to reduce their chances to be surprised.

Each ghuuna can command and control 2-8 hyenas or 1-4 hyaenodons, although they cannot summon them from afar. Any ghuuna encountered is 80% likely to be accompanied by 2 hyenas (70%) or 1 hyaenodon (30%) being kept as pets or guards.

For every 10 gnolls in a gnoll band there is a 5% chance for 2-5 ghuuna to be present, acting as leaders and protectors. Only gnoll shamans and strong chieftains have more "push" in a gnoll band than ghuuna do. Female ghuuna are nearly the only respected females in a gnoll band.

Gnoll shamans are able to use their powers to quest ghuuna for one day. The shaman's chance for success is equal to the chance of a cleric of equal level trying to turn wraiths. Each time this power is successfully used, 1-6 ghuuna are affected. Gnoll shamans may use this power once per day for each level of clerical experience they have.

Ghuuna may communicate with hyenas and hyaenodons, and can speak the usual languages a gnoll may know. Ghuuna keep slaves as gnolls do. Ghuuna may not become shamans or witch doctors. They rarely intentionally spread "ghuunism" among gnolls, preferring to be "the few and the proud."

Originally found in DRAGON Magazine #89 (“Creature Catalog”, September 1984, Ed Greenwood).

ok now, first thing's first, i want to know if you think this should be a template or not. i don't know if there is enough variation found in gnolls to make this a worthwhile template, but if you all think so then i'll go ahead and make it a lycanthrope-like template. otherwise, i'll write up a standard monster stat block.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm anxious for this one, since I already converted it and used it against my players. I'm sure this needs alot of work, since I converted this shortly after 3E came out (my players are now approaching 20th level). Maybe something can be salvaged from this conversion:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1197

Edit (BOZ): i meant to post this link in the first place. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
ok now, first thing's first, i want to know if you think this should be a template or not. i don't know if there is enough variation found in gnolls to make this a worthwhile template, but if you all think so then i'll go ahead and make it a lycanthrope-like template. otherwise, i'll write up a standard monster stat block.

Now, having revisited the ghuuna, and having three years of 3E/3.5 changes, I'd say it would probably work best as a variation on the lycanthrope template.

Plus, this way you can add it to flinds as well. :D

the Jester

Legend
BOZ said:
hold on... a round was a minute? so in 60 seconds of action i could only take one action? that doesn't sound right. IIRC it wasn't even that way in 2E.

and BTW, this doesn't affect the conversion in any way, because the item i was mentioning it for turned out to be for a 24 hour period anyway. ;)

Yup, the one-minute melee round was a source of constant consternation, and officially 2e's melee round was a minute long too. (One of the issues with the 2e-3e conversions had to do with durations of spells that previously lasted 1 round/level.)

The idea was that in a minute (round) the combatants take many attacks but only one or two have a real chance to strike home (as in a boxing match). Speaking as someone who's fenced- well, granted I'm not in the greatest shape and all, but a twenty-minute swordfight is HARD WORK even without 60 lbs of gear on, and I'm sure we all remember how much longer fights used to be in 2e and 1e...

Not that it matters any. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
now that that little bit is done, i can give you a preview of what i've done so far with the template. :D

Ghuuna

CREATING A GHUUNA
“Ghuuna” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid with the gnoll subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature). Becoming a ghuuna is very much like multiclassing as an animal and gaining the appropriate Hit Dice.

Size and Type: The base creature’s type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The ghuuna takes on the characteristics of a hyaenodon (referred to hereafter as the base animal).
A ghuuna uses either the base creature’s or the base animal’s statistics and special abilities in addition to those described here.

Hit Dice and Hit Points: Same as the base creature plus those of the base animal. To calculate total hit points, apply Constitution modifiers according to the score the ghuuna has in each form.

Speed: Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the ghuuna is using.

Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus increases by +2 in both forms.

Base Attack/Grapple: Add the base attack bonus for the base animal to the base attack bonus for the base creature. The ghuuna’s grapple bonus uses its attack bonus and modifiers for Strength and size depending on the ghuuna’s form.

Attacks: Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the ghuuna is using.

Damage: Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the ghuuna is in.

Special Attacks: A ghuuna retains the special attacks of the base creature or base animal, depending on which form it is using, and also gains the special attacks described below.
A ghuuna spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form.
Ghuunism (Su):
Disease (Ex or Su?): Bite

Special Qualities: A ghuuna retains all the special qualities of the base creature and the base animal, and also gains those described below.
Alternate Form (Su):
Damage Reduction (Ex): A ghuuna in any form has damage reduction 5/cold iron or magic.
Darkvision (Ex): A ghuuna has darkvision at a range of 90 feet in any form.
Hyena Empathy (Ex): In any form, ghuunas can communicate and empathize with normal hyenas, dire hyenas, or hyaenodons. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as “friend,” “foe,” “flee,” and “attack.”
Immunity to Silver (Ex): A ghuuna takes no damage from silver weapons of any type.
Low-Light Vision (Ex): A ghuuna has low-light vision in any form.
Scent (Ex): A ghuuna has the scent ability in any form.

Base Save Bonuses: Add the base save bonuses of the base animal to the base save bonuses of the base creature.

Abilities:

Skills:

Feats:

Environment: Same as either the base creature or base animal.

Organization:

Challenge Rating:

Treasure: Standard.

Alignment: Usually chaotic evil

Advancement: By character class

Level Adjustment:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here is an attempt at some of the missing stats. I thought red ache may be appropriate for the disease, but we could create a new one instead.

Ghuunism (Su): Any creature with the gnoll subtype hit by a ghuuna's bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract ghuunism. If the victim’s size is not within one size category of the lycanthrope the victim cannot contract lycanthropy from that lycanthrope. Unlike lycanthropes and the curse of lycanthropy, afflicted ghuunas can pass on ghuunism.

Disease (Ex): Red ache—bite, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d6 Strength. The save DC is Constitution-based. Creatures with the gnoll subtype are unaffected by this disease; instead, they are subject to ghuunism (see above).

Alternate Form (Su): A ghuuna can shift into animal form as though using the polymorph spell on itself, though its gear is not affected, it does not regain hit points for changing form, and only the specific animal form indicated for the ghuuna can be assumed. It does not assume the ability scores of the animal, but instead adds the animal’s physical ability score modifiers to its own ability scores. A ghuuna also can assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features.

Changing to or from animal or hybrid form is a standard action. A slain ghuuna reverts to its humanoid form, although it remains dead. Separated body parts retain their animal form, however. Afflicted ghuunas find this ability difficult to control (see Lycanthropy as an Affliction, below), but natural ghuunas have full control over this power

Abilities: All ghuunas gain +2 to Wisdom. In addition, when in animal form or hybrid form, a ghuuna's physical ability scores change from the base creature as follows: Str +12, Dex +6, and Con +8.

In addition, a ghuuna may also gain an additional ability score increase by virtue of its extra Hit Dice.

Skills: A ghuuna gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) x 5, as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. (Animal is never its first Hit Die, though, and it does not gain quadruple skill points for any animal Hit Die.) Hide, Listen, and Spot are class skills granted by its hyaenadom form. In any form, a ghuuna also has any racial skill bonuses of the base creature. In hyaenodon form, a ghuuna has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth.

Feats: Add the hyaenodon's feats (Alertness, Run, Track) to the base creature’s. If this results in a ghuuna having the same feat twice, the ghuuna gains no additional benefit unless the feat normally can be taken more once, in which case the duplicated feat works as noted in the feat description. This process may give the ghuuna more feats than a character of its total Hit Dice would normally be entitled to; if this occurs, any “extra” feats are denoted as bonus feats.

It’s possible that a ghuuna cannot meet the prerequisites for all its feats when in humanoid form. If this occurs, the ghuuna still has the feats, but cannot use them when in humanoid form. A ghuuna receives Iron Will as a bonus feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads