• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting First Edition monsters from DRAGON magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Speaks Giant and Undercommon?

It looks like most of the troll variants simply have ranks in Listen and Spot. Same here?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good.

Which feat to drop? I'd vote Alertness, as it has decent Listen and Spot (+7 for both) even without it.

LA +4? A troll is +5, but +1 of that is due to reach. Or are the spell-like abilties enough to keep it the same?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Which feat to drop? I'd vote Alertness, as it has decent Listen and Spot (+7 for both) even without it.
I agree.

LA +4? A troll is +5, but +1 of that is due to reach. Or are the spell-like abilties enough to keep it the same?
I'd say they are worth the +1.

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, you guys were fast on this one! I'd maybe go with CR 5, though, since they're supposed to be as tough as normal trolls.

Oh, and pretty please change disorientated to disoriented in the phazing description. Pet peeve of mine. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Oh, and pretty please change disorientated to disoriented in the phazing description. Pet peeve of mine. ;)

Slight revision...

Phazing (Sp): A phaze troll can instantly transfer itself from its current location to any other spot within range (640 ft.). This ability works exactly like the dimension door spell except that the phaze troll may take any remaining actions in the current round. The phaze troll can use this ability up to four times per day. (caster level 6th).

Spell-Like Abilities: 4/day - mirror image. Caster level 6th.

Look OK?

dhaga

First Post
Is there a reason why it is a "Phaze Troll" and not a "Phase Troll"? Is that an intentional misspelling of the original creature?

Shade

Monster Junkie
dhaga said:
Is there a reason why it is a "Phaze Troll" and not a "Phase Troll"? Is that an intentional misspelling of the original creature?

Dunno, but that's the way it was, so that's the way it's gonna be. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads