Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
I agree with Cleon on pricing and spell prereqs. They shouldn't be that expensive or difficult (I think the original flavor went a bit overboard). Though, actually, I'm not fond of limited wish at CL 7. How about lesser geas? We've already got true seeing as the "beyond caster level" spell. Let's go with sculpting for the Craft, as that can include artistic use of metals.

I'd limit to just Craft (sculpting), but I don't mind about armorsmithing much. Since this is supposed to be a wizardly creation, I don't think spiritual weapon should be a prereq now that I look at it more. Ghost touch weapons require plane shift, which seems perhaps a bit high level. Would greater magic weapon work again?

I suggested spiritual weapon because it's the lowest level spell I could find in the SRD that hit incorporeal creatures (since it's a force effect) but I don't mind dropping it.

That said, I'd still like to give it some spell that more strongly support its ability to strike incorporeal creatures such as the Ghost Touch prereq of plane shift.

How about lesser geas, true seeing, plane shift?

That's two over CL spells, but there are official examples of Constructs which have two over-levelled spells, like the Flesh Golem.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Errgh. I extremely dislike even having 1 over-CL spell in the prereqs. It lacks some sense. And now we have a 6th level spell and a 7th level spell! No one says we can't fix designer's mistakes.

Magic weapons can hit incorporeal creatures as well, so I'd vastly prefer either switching to greater magic weapon or upping the CL to at least 11th to cover true seeing (of course, then we're afoul of precedent on CL vs construct CR).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's fall back on greater magic weapon. It makes good sense.

Moving on...

Statue that Walks
Frequency: Rare
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: 2
Move: 12"
Hit Dice: 100 Hit Points
% In Lair: Nil
Treasure Type: Nil
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 5-30
Special Attacks: Nil
Special Defenses: See Below
Magic Resistance: See Below
Intelligence: Non-
Alignment: Neutral
Size: L (18' tall)
Psionic Ability: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil

Statues That Walk are actually oversized stone golems. However, they do not have the ability to cast a slow spell. Their strength is comparable to that of a fire giant.

The Statues were built as caretakers by a race long-since gone in the Realms when members of that race knew they were dying out from a series of plagues they could not fight. The race was proud of its monuments and buildings, and built the Statues to maintain the glory of these structures and tear down anything that would detract from them.

The Statues performed their duties for centuries until the magic-users and priests of the lizard-men who supplanted the builders found a method of stopping them (a very long and drawn-out ritual taking days and needing special glyphs to be drawn on everyone of the Statues. The Divine Precept will discover this ritual in a few months). The lizard-men could not harm the Statues, but they could take apart the buildings they guarded and did so, using them for their own structures which were later taken down and reused by the humans who supplanted the lizard-men.

The Statue will march into the town and, when it runs into a building, tear it down, then go on to the next one. The town is on the site of one of the monuments built thousands of years ago by the creators of the Statue. At this point, the remains of the monument are about 200 feet under the current ground surface, but the Statue knows where it should be by the number of paces he took to get to it, and he will keep tearing the town apart until he finds the monument or is certain that he cannot find the monument, at which time he becomes rigid again and waits for orders.

If the ritual for stopping is not performed on each of the Statues, they will each stop when they get to the site of one of the monuments or buildings they are supposed to take care of and find that it is not there. They are awaiting the order to go on to the next job on their rounds. They stop because the lizard-men's spell permanently destroyed the Statues' ability to move on from one job to the next. They have to be started by the ritual the Precept of Gheldaneth performed to go on to the next assignment.

There are no known vestiges of the original culture remaining except the Statues. However, you can assume that one or two (being used for entirely different purposes, of course) are still around if you want to surprise the player characters by having a Statue approach an ancient wizard's tower and start polishing it.

Originally appeared in FR6 - Dreams of the Red Wizards (1988).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Umm, start with a stone golem and tweak a bit? I guess we can change Str to that of a fire giant, if it makes sense (though it doesn't unless we advance the fire giant to Huge also). The main feature seems to be the programming, really.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds like a plan.

Using the "divide by 4.5" rule of thumb, we'd end up with 22 HD, which would place it perfectly at the beginning of the Huge range of stone golem advancement. :cool:

So...

Huge, 22 HD

Str 31, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1? That isn't the normal boost of a stone giant to Huge, but it gives them Str equivalent to a fire giant, and doesn't punish Dex for increasing a size category. I thought that would help differentiate them from greater stone golems.

Since the like ripping apart buildings, I'm thinking we might borrow this again:

Double Damage against Objects (Ex): A treant or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Cleon

Legend
Errgh. I extremely dislike even having 1 over-CL spell in the prereqs. It lacks some sense. And now we have a 6th level spell and a 7th level spell! No one says we can't fix designer's mistakes.

Magic weapons can hit incorporeal creatures as well, so I'd vastly prefer either switching to greater magic weapon or upping the CL to at least 11th to cover true seeing (of course, then we're afoul of precedent on CL vs construct CR).

Well if it bothers you I don't mind dropping it, 'tis not a deal-breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads