Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
I'd like to have Move Silently, but let's put the higher ranks in Listen and Spot and the lower ranks in Hide and Move Silently, since the racial bonuses and Dex modifier make the latter better.

Updated.

Look OK?

Well I guess since the original doesn't have an improved surprise chance it doesn't fit that well maxing out its stealth skills.

Still, the Stealthy feat and some points in Hide and Move Silently suits me. I'd rather the Move Silently was at least as good as its sense skills. Maybe move a rank from Listen to MS?

That'd give it ranks of Hide 6, Move Silently 5, Listen 3 & Spot 3, making the modifiers:

Skills: Escape Artist +13, Hide +12, Listen +8, Move Silently +9, Spot +9, Swim +9

Also, real-world blue-ringed octopuses (like most octopodes) are great climbers, and are known to climb out of the water to move over dry parts of the reef they live in.

So, give them a Climb speed (20 feet or so?) or a racial bonus to Climb?

Cleon

Legend
With the sheer number of chances of failure, I'd say it's not too easy. :devil:

I agree. The (probably over CR'd) Giant Octopus is Challenge Rating 8, and it isn't even poisonous!

We don't seem to have decided on a Constrict damage yet.

Downscaling a Giant Octopus would give Constrict 1d10+1, but its tentacles would also be 1d3 - one step higher than the Blue ringed Octopus's arms.

So, 1d6+1 Constrict?

I'm not that fond of them advancing to 24HD Huge monsters, it doesn't really gel with their description of inoffensive creatures that are often enslaved by evil monsters. Well, unless there are a lot of incidents when Big Tentacle Brother comes to their rescue enslaved Blue-Ringed Octopodes...

Also, as for the alignment, I'm leaning toward "Usually neutral good" rather than "always".

Shade

Monster Junkie
Maybe move a rank from Listen to MS?

Sure!

So, give them a Climb speed (20 feet or so?) or a racial bonus to Climb?

Let's go with the climb speed of 20 feet.

So, 1d6+1 Constrict?

That works for me.

I'm not that fond of them advancing to 24HD Huge monsters, it doesn't really gel with their description of inoffensive creatures that are often enslaved by evil monsters. Well, unless there are a lot of incidents when Big Tentacle Brother comes to their rescue enslaved Blue-Ringed Octopodes...

You know, I'm thinking "by character class" may work better for them, rather than having them grow larger. Especially when we consider the red variant.

Also, as for the alignment, I'm leaning toward "Usually neutral good" rather than "always".

Good idea. One could always go "rogue" and found the "black ring octopi" gang. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Let's go with the climb speed of 20 feet.

I'd prefer the Climb speed too.

You know, I'm thinking "by character class" may work better for them, rather than having them grow larger. Especially when we consider the red variant.

Suits me.

Good idea. One could always go "rogue" and found the "black ring octopi" gang. ;)

Whole oceans fear the secretive Master of The Black Circle...

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

This has led to some wild speculation that the blue-rings are telepathic or mages of some kind, though no evidence has ever confirmed this.

Shall we have them understand Undercommon, and communicate telepathically?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Shall we have them understand Undercommon, and communicate telepathically?

Didn't we just have this argument with the Shadow Panther?:-S

I wouldn't give them telepathy, maybe the have some limited means to communicate by scent with others of their kind?

Shade

Monster Junkie
This one's a bit different, as 1) they are smarter, 2) the text implies it, and 3) many underdark denizens communicate telepathically.

What does it hurt to let 'em have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads