Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
SRD said:
Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature.

Ah, but I was talking about Constrict, not Improved Grab. It can use regular grapple checks to seize hold of large creatures and then squeeze them, or we can just upsize its Improved Grab as Shade said (which would be my preferred solution).

SRD said:
A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.

EDIT: Besides, the SRD Octopus's Improved Grab has "To use this ability, an octopus must hit an opponent of any size with its arms attack."

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Let's see what Cleon thinks. I suspect we'll go with 1d2 Con plus blindness/1d2 Con.

Giving it 1d2 Con plus blindness/1d2 Con for both Inhaled and Injected is fine by me.

I'm finding it a little funny that the real-world blue-ring octopus has a highly venomous bite, but the D&D version has poison with all its attacks except its bite!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then:

Poison (Ex): inhaled or injury, Fortitude DC X, initial damage 1d2 Con plus 1d4 rounds blindness, secondary damage 1d2 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based

Shade

Monster Junkie
Do we need to specificy "tentacle" parenthetically after injury, or shall we take inspiration from the real-world variation and expand the venom to the bite as well?

freyar

I don't mind adding poison to the bite or not. But I thought we just list poison under damage for whichever natural attack we want (ie, XdX+X plus poison).

Cleon

Legend
Do we need to specificy "tentacle" parenthetically after injury, or shall we take inspiration from the real-world variation and expand the venom to the bite as well?

I'd rather have an explanatory sentence followed by the poison mechanics, something like this:

Poison (Ex): A blue-ringed octopus's poison affects any opponent it hits with a tentacle or its ink cloud.

Blue-Ring Octopus Venom - inhaled or injury, Fortitude DC X, initial damage 1d2 Con plus 1d4 rounds blindness, secondary damage 1d2 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Cleon

Legend
That works for me.

Updated.

It's got 3d10+48 (114 hp) in its HD instead of 3d10+3 (19 hp), which makes little sense unless you've boosted its Constitution to 42 behind my back?;)

Skills and Feats next?

SRD Octopodes have Escape Artist (+10 racial), Hide (+4 racial), Listen, Spot and Swim (+8 racial).

Max out Hide, Listen and Spot?

Since these are peaceful creatures that "Strive to avoid conflict" I'm thinking they won't have combat-oriented feats (although if they did I'd be tempted by Weapon Finesse).

Maybe Alertness to notice danger and Skill Focus (Hide) to avoid it? The SRD Giant Octopus has both those feats.

freyar

Hide, Move Silently at 6 each, Listen, Spot at 3 each for skills?

Edit: missed Cleon's post. I could go either way with the skills (ie, keep Move Silently or not). Suggested feats (or swapping SF (Hide) for Stealthy) are good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd like to have Move Silently, but let's put the higher ranks in Listen and Spot and the lower ranks in Hide and Move Silently, since the racial bonuses and Dex modifier make the latter better.

Updated.

Look OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads