Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I didn't even consider Aberration. They're unnatural creatures usually, so why would a Woodland Deity create one?

You answered your own question. ;)

Their immunity to sleep, charm, hold, death magic, poisons and cold-based attacks shouted "Undead-like" to me.

Yet they lack the usual "turned as..." that most old-school undead possessed.

Paging Dr. freyar... B-)

Of course Undead are unnatural too, which is one reason I suggested Deathless.

Deathless are unnatural, too.

Cleon

Legend
Yet they lack the usual "turned as..." that most old-school undead possessed.

It's not like their aren't plenty of other undead or pseudo-undead creatures that can't be turned.

Deathless are unnatural, too.

Ah, but they're powered by positive energy, so are more in keeping with living, growing things that would be favoured by Nature Gods.
:cool:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Can't say any of those types really appeal. I also get the "living" vibe in some respects, and they don't seem quite weird enough to be aberrations. I could see magical beast, though. Sorry to make this more complicated. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Can't say any of those types really appeal. I also get the "living" vibe in some respects, and they don't seem quite weird enough to be aberrations. I could see magical beast, though. Sorry to make this more complicated. ;)

freyar sighting! :cool:

I could go for magical beast. I definitely am getting a "living" vibe as well, hence my aversion to undead and deathless. Other than that, I'm fairly flexible on the type. It reminds me a bit of nagas (which are mostly aberrations), but could just as easily be a magically-altered constrictor snake (which it is, actually), making it a magical beast.

Cleon

Legend
freyar sighting! :cool:

I could go for magical beast. I definitely am getting a "living" vibe as well, hence my aversion to undead and deathless. Other than that, I'm fairly flexible on the type. It reminds me a bit of nagas (which are mostly aberrations), but could just as easily be a magically-altered constrictor snake (which it is, actually), making it a magical beast.

How can it be living, those ogres killed it good.

Is the Spirit subtype from Oriental Adventures OGL? I would be willing to consider that.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How can it be living, those ogres killed it good.

They sure did. And then "Woodland deities...resurrected the constrictor to avenge the death of her offspring". They didn't animate it, re-animate it, or bind its spirit, but "resurrected" it. ;)

Is the Spirit subtype from Oriental Adventures OGL? I would be willing to consider that.

Unfortunately, no. However, we've used it often enough that I don't find it problematic. We usually mention it in underbars "If you're using Oriental Adventures ..."

Cleon

Legend
They sure did. And then "Woodland deities...resurrected the constrictor to avenge the death of her offspring". They didn't animate it, re-animate it, or bind its spirit, but "resurrected" it. ;)

They probably "resurrected" it about as much as a ghost gets younger when it "rejuvenates".:p

I just don't see this creature as having a natural life cycle. It probably doesn't grow old or have young (i.e. the infants it summons are the spirit-forms of its dead young).

Making them Native Outsiders (Augmented Animal?) would be acceptable to me - it's about as tempting as Deathless - but Aberration or Magical Beast just don't seem right.

Hmm, speaking of "augmented animal" maybe the Nature Gods can do this to any murdered animal, so we should create a "Nature's Glass Vengeance" template...

...better not. We've got enough arguments already! :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'll go for Outsider (Native)...they are the result of divine intervention after all.

No need for augmented...that's usually just used for templated creatures.

As for your last suggestion...EGADS! :eek::confused::eek:

The giant constrictor snake has Str 25, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2

Do we want to adjust any of those scores for Ol' Glasshead?

Cleon

Legend
I'll go for Outsider (Native)...they are the result of divine intervention after all.

Let's go for Outsider (Native) then.

No need for augmented...that's usually just used for templated creatures.

As for your last suggestion...EGADS! :eek::confused::eek:

That was the intended effect.:lol:

Actually, a "Headless Avenger" template would probably be fairly straightforward once we get the basic monster sorted out, but I'll spare you the additional pain.

The giant constrictor snake has Str 25, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2

Do we want to adjust any of those scores for Ol' Glasshead?

I'd increase the mental stats since we were going to give it a summon power. The "elder serpent" version of the AD&D giant constrictor can go up to Low (5-7) intelligence, so how about this:

Int 4, Wis 16, Cha 13

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I bumped HD to match giant constrictor snake, as it apparently was one prior to death and rebirth.

We'll need to work on rejuvenation and the "head abilities".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads