Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Alas, none is given for giant constrictor. :(

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten. We went over that with the giant titanoboa. Well, we can just downsize that.

A giant titanoboa is 80 feet long and weighs around 10 tons.

A headless avenger is 40 feet long and weighs around 2500 pounds.

As for the "Transparency Bonus" I was thinking +10, on the basis they were semi-invisible.

Cleon

Legend
Yep, I remember that now. Looks good.

Updated. Anything left?

We were talking about giving it an ability to summon it's "babies". Like summon nature's allies except it only summons constrictor snakes. Maybe transparent constrictor snakes with the same +10 Hide their Mama gets?

Also, isn't the Moonshea archipelago temperate?

Should we change the environment to "Temperate", "Warm or temperate" or "Any forests"?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I prefer "Warm or temperate". I can't really see the serpent in cold forests.

How's this?

Summon Snakes (Sp): Once per day a spirit constrictor can summon its young, which have also been transformed into living glass. This summons 2d4? constrictor snakes with a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks. This ability is the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Summoning looks good.

Note that this thing is from Mistledale (the Moonsea Ride is a road), not the Moonshaes archipelago. I guess that would be temperate forests; I'd need to look up my books to know if it's considered temperate or cold. But this one, at least, is definitely not in a warm climate.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good catch, freyar.

I've been meaning to ask...should we genericize the creature as a "spirit constrictor", and note the original Moonsea Ride origin in an "In The Realms" underbar? In that case, temperate and warm forests would make sense for any form of constrictor snake.

Cleon

Legend
I prefer "Warm or temperate". I can't really see the serpent in cold forests.

How's this?

Summon Snakes (Sp): Once per day a spirit constrictor can summon its young, which have also been transformed into living glass. This summons 2d4? constrictor snakes with a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks. This ability is the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.

That looks fine to me. A constrictor snake is a probably a "2nd-level creature" so the equivalent of a summon monster IV would get you 1d4+1 of them.

Good catch, freyar.

I've been meaning to ask...should we genericize the creature as a "spirit constrictor", and note the original Moonsea Ride origin in an "In The Realms" underbar? In that case, temperate and warm forests would make sense for any form of constrictor snake.

I'm in favour of dropping the "Moonsea" name and adding an In The Realms underbar.

Spirit Constrictor is OK I suppose, but I would quite like to reference its original "Headless Avenger" name.

Headless Spirit Constrictor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads