Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I bumped HD to match giant constrictor snake, as it apparently was one prior to death and rebirth.

We'll need to work on rejuvenation and the "head abilities".

Looks a good start.

The Elminster ecologies version has 2 attacks and the bite varies according to the head, do we want to copy that?

e.g.:

Attack: Head +16 melee (variable) or tail-slap +16 melee (1d8+10)
Full Attack: Head +16 melee (variable) and tail-slap +11 melee (1d8+10)

We can also plug in its immunities.

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunities (cold, death-magic, mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep), rejuvenation, scent

Oh, and as for its rejuvenation I'd go for something simple.

Rejuvenation (Ex): If a Moonsea Ride spirit constrictor is killed its body vanishes. If the constrictor succeeds at a DC16 level check it reappears at the site of its death 2d4 days later, alive and fully healed, even if its previous death completely destroyed its body.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Shall we work on the table of heads?

1.) Orc (I'd imagine it eats quite a few of these out of revenge)
2.) Medusa (mentioned in original writeup)
3.) Deer (mentioned in original writeup)
4.) Giant raven (mentioned in original writeup)
5.) Krenshar (the scare could be fun)

...and so on...

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Shall we work on the table of heads?

1.) Orc (I'd imagine it eats quite a few of these out of revenge)
2.) Medusa (mentioned in original writeup)
3.) Deer (mentioned in original writeup)
4.) Giant raven (mentioned in original writeup)
5.) Krenshar (the scare could be fun)

...and so on...

Surely it should be Ogre for #1, not Orc?

I like the Giant Raven, and think we should give it an eye-gouge peck attack.:devil:

Krenshar's fine too.

If we give it another head option we can have a d6 table.

How about an Ettercap? Those live in forests, are unnatural creatures the nature gods might be keen on eliminating, and it'd give it a venomous bite.

The latter is purely a coincidence, of course.;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oops! Yes, I meant ogres. I misremembered what "o" creature caused its unending pain. :blush:

Ettercap counds interesting.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good catch.

Updated.

The ogre head offers no natural attack or benefit, while the medusa is extra potent. Should we increase the die size making the more powerful heads less frequent? Or give some sort of CR adjustment?

I suppose we should summarize the borrowed special abilities below the table, eh?

Cleon

Legend
Good catch.

Updated.

The ogre head offers no natural attack or benefit, while the medusa is extra potent. Should we increase the die size making the more powerful heads less frequent? Or give some sort of CR adjustment?

How about the ogre head give it a Large creature's unarmed strike attack with full Str bonus, and we add half Str bonus to the other attacks?

I suppose we should summarize the borrowed special abilities below the table, eh?

I'd include them in the table, e.g.:

1.) Ogre Head with unarmed strike (1d4+7 nonlethal).
2.) Medusa Head with petrifying gaze (30 ft. range, Fort DC 16, Cha-based) and poisonous snakes attack (1d4+3 plus poison, Fort DC 16, 1d6 Str initial, 2d6 Str secondary, Con-based). Increase CR by +2?
3.) Deer Head with gore attack (1d6+3?)
4.) Giant Raven Head with bite attack (1d6+3) and eye gouge attack (if bite confirms critical, DC18 or lose sight in one eye for permanent dazzle, or blindness if rendered eyeless, healed by remove blindness/deafness, Dex-based)
5.) Krenshar Head with bite attack (1d6+3) and scare (as scare spell, Will DC 13).
6.) Ettercap Head with poisonous bite attack (1d8+3 plus poison, Fort DC 18, 1d6 Str initial, 2d6 Str secondary, Con-based with +2 racial bonus). Increase CR by +1?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yep, fantastic!

Updated.

Skills: 5 at 14 ranks

Feats: 4
Giant constrictor has Alertness, Endurance, Skill Focus (Hide), Toughness

I'd be happy to replaced Toughness with something worthwhile, at the very least.

Cleon

Legend
Yep, fantastic!

Updated.

Skills: 5 at 14 ranks

Feats: 4
Giant constrictor has Alertness, Endurance, Skill Focus (Hide), Toughness

I'd be happy to replaced Toughness with something worthwhile, at the very least.

Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival

Swap Toughness for Track?

It's created to wreak vengeance, so it'd help if it could track down the wrongdoers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads