• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
A teratomorph, a Gargantuan CR 16 ooze deals 4d6 with its slam. Most Large oozes do only 1d8. Black puddings do 2d6, and elder black puddings do 3d6.

Other ways of stating amorphous:

Amorphous (Ex): A gibbering mouther is not subject to critical hits. It cannot be flanked.

Amorphous (Ex): An alkilith is not subject to flanking or critical hits. It is immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing.

Amorphous (Ex): The gelatinous body of a xorbeast protects it from attacks against vital organs. Any critical hit or sneak attack against a xorbeast has a 50% chance of dealing damage as a normal attack.

Oozlike Immunities (Ex): Ghaunadans share many of the immunities of oozes, though they do have minds and Intelligence scores. They are immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. They are not subject to critical hits, and cannot be flanked. These immunities apply in both humanoid and ooze form.

I know there are more.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Since the protein polymorph is all oozy, immune to critical hits and flanking is definately appropriate, as opposed to the 50% of the xorbeast (I used this because they have some structure, but it's protected, ala fortification).

Should they have the ooze immunities to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning and polymorph? Since they themselves can polymorph, if we give them the shapechanger subtype (which seems reasonable), they can just change back as an action if polymorphed, so immunity seems redundant.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I just noticed the much-maligned phasm has the following:

Amorphous (Ex): A phasm in its natural form has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning effects. It is not subject to critical hits and, having no clear front or back, cannot be flanked.

I agree with Demiurge that the immunity to polymorph seems a tad redundant.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm wondering if for the polymorph ability we can't just modify the latest version of shapechange to allow for multiple creatures and the ability to take the form of an object?

This spell functions like polymorph, except that it enables you to assume the form of any single nonunique creature (of any type) from Fine to Colossal size. The assumed form cannot have more than your caster level in Hit Dice (to a maximum of 50 HD). Unlike polymorph, this spell allows incorporeal or gaseous forms to be assumed.

You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities. You also gain the type of the new form in place of your own. The new form does not disorient you. Parts of your body or pieces of equipment that are separated from you do not revert to their original forms.

You can become just about anything you are familiar with. You can change form once each round as a free action. The change takes place either immediately before your regular action or immediately after it, but not during the action. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads