• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
thanks! :) i think i did a decent job. rather than having it take the form of inanimate objects, i thought why not let it take the form of animate objects (as per the spell/MM) which can lie still to look like inanimate objects.

here is attempt #1:

A protein polymorph can assume the form of any nonunique creature from Fine to Colossal size?. The new form may be of any creature type, though the protein polymorph retains the type and subtype of its original form. The assumed form cannot have more Hit Dice than the protein polymorph's Hit Dice.

It loses the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes?, and extraordinary special attacks of its original form, and gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes? (except flight? just burrowing, climbing, walking, and swimming?), and extraordinary special attacks? of its new form. It retains the special qualities of its original form and does not gain any spell-like abilities, supernatural attacks, or special qualities of its new form. It gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form and retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form (OR, retains the ability scores of its original form?). It retains its hit points, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores. It cannot assume an incorporeal or gaseous form.

It can become just about anything it is familiar with. It can change form once each round as a free? action. The change takes place either immediately before its regular action or immediately after it, but not during the action. The protein polymorph acquires the physical qualities of the new form, including extremities such as wings or extra limbs. It can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under the protein polymorph's control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. It is effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. However, a protein polymorph cannot accurately copy facial expressions nor effectively duplicate the sounds of speech, and gains no special bonus on Disguise checks to imitate a certain type of creature.

A protein polymorph can assume the form of an animated object, of any type. It cannot be made into a magic item with this ability. It also cannot reproduce the special properties of cold iron, silver, or adamantine in order to overcome the damage reduction of certain creatures. It can assume the form of many Tiny or smaller objects as if the objects had the swarm subtype. The creature can pretend to be an inanimate object by lying still, however any intelligent creature touching it will instantly realize it is alive (not sure how to say that part). A creature can detect a disguised protein polymorph on a successful DC 20? (Search? or) Spot check.

A protein polymorph may also assume more than one form at the same time, from Fine to Colossal size?. It can take on any number of forms, though the assumed forms cannot have more total Hit Dice than the protein polymorph's Hit Dice. The forms are connected by a cord or film of protoplasm that a creature can detect on a successful DC 25? Spot check. Each form acts on the protein polymorph's initiative, and has the same base attack bonus. All creatures are part of the protein polymorph, and have the same base save bonuses, Constitution score and hit points; the protein polymorph loses hit points when any of its forms is hit, and all its forms die when the protein polymorph is killed. Each form has its own natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, extraordinary special attacks, Strength, and Dexterity scores, as described above. Because any part of the cellular mass that makes up a protein polymorph can act independently, a protein polymorph's multiple forms can each use its their primary attack forms with the full attack bonus. Each form must remain within X feet of another.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
thanks! :) i think i did a decent job. rather than having it take the form of inanimate objects, i thought why not let it take the form of animate objects (as per the spell/MM) which can lie still to look like inanimate objects.

An excellent job, in fact. :D

BOZ said:
A protein polymorph can assume the form of any nonunique creature from Fine to Colossal size?. The new form may be of any creature type, though the protein polymorph retains the type and subtype of its original form. The assumed form cannot have more Hit Dice than the protein polymorph's Hit Dice.

I think it's fine to go up to Colossal size (it could stretch itself real thin). It's not likely that it's going to find a low-HD Colossal creature, anyhow.

BOZ said:
It loses the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes?, and extraordinary special attacks of its original form, and gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes? (except flight? just burrowing, climbing, walking, and swimming?), and extraordinary special attacks? of its new form. It retains the special qualities of its original form and does not gain any spell-like abilities, supernatural attacks, or special qualities of its new form. It gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form and retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form (OR, retains the ability scores of its original form?). It retains its hit points, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores. It cannot assume an incorporeal or gaseous form.

I'd stick with the latest form of polymorph, and retain mental stats while gaining physical stats, and it should acquire all movement modes of the new form.

BOZ said:
It can become just about anything it is familiar with. It can change form once each round as a free? action. The change takes place either immediately before its regular action or immediately after it, but not during the action. The protein polymorph acquires the physical qualities of the new form, including extremities such as wings or extra limbs. It can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under the protein polymorph's control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. It is effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. However, a protein polymorph cannot accurately copy facial expressions nor effectively duplicate the sounds of speech, and gains no special bonus on Disguise checks to imitate a certain type of creature.

Make it a swift action, which is essentially a free action limited to once per round.

BOZ said:
A protein polymorph can assume the form of an animated object, of any type. It cannot be made into a magic item with this ability. It also cannot reproduce the special properties of cold iron, silver, or adamantine in order to overcome the damage reduction of certain creatures. It can assume the form of many Tiny or smaller objects as if the objects had the swarm subtype. The creature can pretend to be an inanimate object by lying still, however any intelligent creature touching it will instantly realize it is alive (not sure how to say that part). A creature can detect a disguised protein polymorph on a successful DC 20? (Search? or) Spot check.

Should it acquire the hardness of an object? It's still "fleshy", right? In that case, I'd say no. As for realizing it's a living thing, perhaps it feels like flesh, or someone touching it can feel its pulse?

BOZ said:
A protein polymorph may also assume more than one form at the same time, from Fine to Colossal size?. It can take on any number of forms, though the assumed forms cannot have more total Hit Dice than the protein polymorph's Hit Dice. The forms are connected by a cord or film of protoplasm that a creature can detect on a successful DC 25? Spot check. Each form acts on the protein polymorph's initiative, and has the same base attack bonus. All creatures are part of the protein polymorph, and have the same base save bonuses, Constitution score and hit points; the protein polymorph loses hit points when any of its forms is hit, and all its forms die when the protein polymorph is killed. Each form has its own natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, extraordinary special attacks, Strength, and Dexterity scores, as described above. Because any part of the cellular mass that makes up a protein polymorph can act independently, a protein polymorph's multiple forms can each use its their primary attack forms with the full attack bonus. Each form must remain within X feet of another.

This part is a bit problematic. Since it takes on the physical ability scores of the new form, which Constitution score is it sharing? The highest? Since (like alter self/polymorph/shapechange) it retains the hit points, base attack bonus, and base saves of its original form, is it even necessary to mention that?

Mortis

First Post
A little off topic

Shade said:
Should it acquire the hardness of an object? It's still "fleshy", right? In that case, I'd say no. As for realizing it's a living thing, perhaps it feels like flesh, or someone touching it can feel its pulse?
That's why I dislike 'hardness'. IMHO it would have been better (and more consistent) to give objects Damage Reduction like creatures.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
That's why I dislike 'hardness'. IMHO it would have been better (and more consistent) to give objects Damage Reduction like creatures.

I don't even mind hardness, but I do dislike that they gave it to animated objects...while golems have damage reduction.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
I don't even mind hardness, but I do dislike that they gave it to animated objects...while golems have damage reduction.
Hardness X is pretty much the same as DR X/-, a value that subtracts from the damage dealt. So why bother with two terms?

Normal service will now be resumed...

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Hardness X is pretty much the same as DR X/-, a value that subtracts from the damage dealt. So why bother with two terms?

Normal service will now be resumed...

Mainly because energy effects work differently on hardness. Of course, they could simply have given various objects resistance to energy... ;)

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Mainly because energy effects work differently on hardness. Of course, they could simply have given various objects resistance to energy... ;)
Ooohh!!! Now don't get me started on Acid as an energy. :D

Regards
Mortis

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
An excellent job, in fact. :D

thanks! it wasn't easy. :)

Shade said:
I think it's fine to go up to Colossal size (it could stretch itself real thin). It's not likely that it's going to find a low-HD Colossal creature, anyhow.

cool. and yes, there aren't a great deal of 6-HD Colossal creatures. ;) now, of course, when you advance it, you might just be able to find a 18-HD Colossal creature to replicate... but that's a higher CR protein polymorph anyway. ;)

Shade said:
I'd stick with the latest form of polymorph, and retain mental stats while gaining physical stats, and it should acquire all movement modes of the new form.

i was unclear mostly because the old text specifically said the PP would not be able to fly. if it's simply easier to allow flight, i suppose we can.

Shade said:
Make it a swift action, which is essentially a free action limited to once per round.

no problem.

Shade said:

well, here's the deal on that. hardness, as given in the MM, is a special quality, and we have already established that the PP cannot copy SQs. why should it take on hardness if it doesn't take on DR? :) saying that a PP feels "fleshy" should solve that problem.

Shade said:
This part is a bit problematic. Since it takes on the physical ability scores of the new form, which Constitution score is it sharing? The highest? Since (like alter self/polymorph/shapechange) it retains the hit points, base attack bonus, and base saves of its original form, is it even necessary to mention that?

whoops! i meant to say that the PP has only one Con score no matter how many forms it has taken. i'd go with the highest Con score available. while it retains the base attack bonus and base saves, those can be modified by changing ability scores. when we're saying it retains the hit points, does that mean a Con increase does not give extra HP? if not, then perhaps it still raises the Fort save?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
thanks! it wasn't easy. :)

I'm sure it wasn't!

BOZ said:
cool. and yes, there aren't a great deal of 6-HD Colossal creatures. ;) now, of course, when you advance it, you might just be able to find a 18-HD Colossal creature to replicate... but that's a higher CR protein polymorph anyway. ;)

Indeed. :D

BOZ said:
i was unclear mostly because the old text specifically said the PP would not be able to fly. if it's simply easier to allow flight, i suppose we can.

I think it would be easier, and not really harm the original intent of the critter.

BOZ said:
well, here's the deal on that. hardness, as given in the MM, is a special quality, and we have already established that the PP cannot copy SQs. why should it take on hardness if it doesn't take on DR? :) saying that a PP feels "fleshy" should solve that problem.

Great! Problem solved.

BOZ said:
whoops! i meant to say that the PP has only one Con score no matter how many forms it has taken. i'd go with the highest Con score available. while it retains the base attack bonus and base saves, those can be modified by changing ability scores. when we're saying it retains the hit points, does that mean a Con increase does not give extra HP? if not, then perhaps it still raises the Fort save?

Per Rules of the Game:

Skip Williams said:
Because the change in form doesn't change the creature's Wisdom score (see previous point), the creature's Will save bonus doesn't change. Changes to the creature's Constitution and Dexterity scores, however, might change its Fortitude and Reflex save bonuses. Changes to the creature's Strength score affect its melee attack bonus. Changes to the creature's Dexterity score change its ranged attack bonus.

Despite any change in its Constitution score, a change in form through the alternate form power does not change the creature's hit points. This feature of alternate form mostly serves to speed play. It also underscores the notion that the change in form doesn't alter the creature's fundamental identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads