• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I think it would be easier, and not really harm the original intent of the critter.

i suppose not; at least, not by much. flight can make a huge difference in the right situations. but i can live with it.

Shade said:

OK, that makes sense. since it already states in the text that hit points remain the same, we can still say that the creature has a single Con score (regardless of the number of forms) so that any Con save failed affects the whole creature. let me rewrite that a little for clarity:

A protein polymorph can assume the form of any nonunique creature from Fine to Colossal size. The new form may be of any creature type, though the protein polymorph retains the type and subtype of its original form. The assumed form cannot have more Hit Dice than the protein polymorph's Hit Dice.

It loses the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its original form, and gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks? of its new form. It retains the special qualities of its original form and does not gain any spell-like abilities, supernatural attacks, or special qualities of its new form. It gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form and retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. It retains its hit points, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores. It cannot assume an incorporeal or gaseous form.

It can become just about anything it is familiar with. It can change form once each round as a swift action. The change takes place either immediately before its regular action or immediately after it, but not during the action. The protein polymorph acquires the physical qualities of the new form, including extremities such as wings or extra limbs. It can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under the protein polymorph's control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. It is effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. However, a protein polymorph cannot accurately copy facial expressions nor effectively duplicate the sounds of speech, and gains no special bonus on Disguise checks to imitate a certain type of creature.

A protein polymorph can assume the form of an animated object, of any type. It cannot be made into a magic item with this ability. It also cannot reproduce the special properties of cold iron, silver, or adamantine in order to overcome the damage reduction of certain creatures. It can assume the form of many Tiny or smaller objects as if the objects had the swarm subtype. The creature can pretend to be an inanimate object by lying still, however touching the protein polymorph reveals its fleshy texture immediately.. A creature can detect a disguised protein polymorph on a successful DC 20? (Search? or) Spot check.

A protein polymorph may also assume more than one form at the same time, from Fine to Colossal size. It can take on any number of forms, though the assumed forms cannot have more total Hit Dice than the protein polymorph's Hit Dice. The forms are connected by a cord or film of protoplasm that another creature can detect on a successful DC 25? Spot check. Each form must remain within X feet of another. Each form has its own natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, extraordinary special attacks, and Strength and Dexterity scores, as described above. All creatures are part of the protein polymorph, and a protein polymorph moves and attacks with each form on the same initiative. Each form uses the protein polymorph's Constitution score or any Constitution score of any of its forms, whichever is highest. Each form also uses the protein polymorph's hit points, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses. Because any part of the cellular mass that makes up a protein polymorph can act independently, a protein polymorph's multiple forms can each use their primary attack forms with the full attack bonus. A protein polymorph loses hit points when any of its forms is hit, and all its forms die when the protein polymorph is killed.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
The creature can pretend to be an inanimate object by lying still, however touching the protein polymorph reveals its fleshy texture immediately.. A creature can detect a disguised protein polymorph on a successful DC 20? (Search? or) Spot check.

I'd use this from the mimic's Mimic Shape ability...

A mimic’s body is hard and has a rough texture, no matter what appearance it might present. Anyone who examines the mimic can detect the ruse with a successful Spot check opposed by the mimic’s Disguise check. Of course, by this time it is generally far too late.

Note that a mimic has a +8 racial bonus on Disguise checks. Perhaps we can do the same for PP?

BOZ said:
The forms are connected by a cord or film of protoplasm that another creature can detect on a successful DC 25? Spot check. Each form must remain within X feet of another.

DC 25 Spot check works for me. I'd say the forms should be within 30 feet of another.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Note that a mimic has a +8 racial bonus on Disguise checks. Perhaps we can do the same for PP?

well...

Fiend Folio said:
There are limits to the protein polymorph's degree of cellular control - it cannot accurately copy facial expressions, nor can it effectively duplicate the sound of speech. These limitations may lead to the exposure of the imposture as animate creatures.

i took that to mean this:

"However, a protein polymorph cannot accurately copy facial expressions nor effectively duplicate the sounds of speech, and gains no special bonus on Disguise checks to imitate a certain type of creature."

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
well...

i took that to mean this:

"However, a protein polymorph cannot accurately copy facial expressions nor effectively duplicate the sounds of speech, and gains no special bonus on Disguise checks to imitate a certain type of creature."

Right...but the mimic's racial bonus didn't arise from its change shape ability, like doppelgangers and others, and wasn't the normal +10. Rather, it was a special racial bonus. I thought it would be appropriate in this case.

If we're going to stick with Disguise as the mechanic for its camouflage, I'd recommend giving it Skill Focus (Disguise).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ah, i didn't catch that...

well, max ranks would be 9, Cha bonus is +1, and Skill Focus would make it +13, equal to the mimic. doesn't need to be higher than that, as the disguise doesn't have to be super effective. :)

it would have 9 ranks left after that. i recommend at least 3 ranks each in Listen and Spot, and Alertness as another feat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That all makes sense. For the third feat, I'm thinking either Power Attack or Great Fortitude.

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
do we want it to be able to copy its foes extraordinary special attacks? while it would be great to take certain abilities, this would also invclude things like poison and even things like the mind flayer's brain-eatin.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't see why not. If creatures like the doppelganger and phasm can do it, I think the ProPoly should as well.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i guess so, but i don't like it. ;) that's a big part of why the war troll causes so much trouble with polymorphing, isn't it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads