Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Oh, let's just let the damage go overboard. ;) It can only get 3 attacks on a single regular PC.

Let's go with aberration and play up the weirdness compared to the anemone and kampfult. That could perhaps explain the merging of plant and animal. But magical beast works ok also.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, let's just let the damage go overboard. ;) It can only get 3 attacks on a single regular PC.

Let's go with aberration and play up the weirdness compared to the anemone and kampfult. That could perhaps explain the merging of plant and animal. But magical beast works ok also.

If you like. Three lots of 1d3+3 isn't that much. Maybe they do more damage because the tentacles are spiky as well (like a Grell's).

Hmm, maybe there are rumours they are related to Grells, they've both got paralysing tentacles, after all...

Cleon

Legend
How about a relationship to gricks?

How about we just drop hints?

"Some sages believe the polyp is the sessile stage of another subterranean monster, based on reports of flying and crawling aberrations which have the same spiny paralysing tentacles."

That way informed readers can make a connection with Grells, Gricks, Chulls or Carrion Crawlers (some of which are closed-content) without us having to name names.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Borrow the giant sea anemone's tactics/tentacle severing text? Borrow its improved grab and swallow whole?

Suggested duration for paralysis? One turn = 10 minutes. A carrion crawler's paralysis lasts 2d4 rounds.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'm okay with paralysis for one minute. Using the imp grab/swallow whole from the "normal" anenome seems like a good place to start, at least.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Borrow the giant sea anemone's tactics/tentacle severing text? Borrow its improved grab and swallow whole?

Yes and yes.

Suggested duration for paralysis? One turn = 10 minutes. A carrion crawler's paralysis lasts 2d4 rounds.

I'm okay with paralysis for one minute. Using the imp grab/swallow whole from the "normal" anenome seems like a good place to start, at least.

I'd prefer some randomness in the paralysis duration with an average duration around one minute - 2d4+5 rounds?

Remove ads