Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, so we get 1d8+6 from the barbed devil. The +6 is +Con, so that should drop to +3. These are larger but lower HD/likely CR, so I could see 1d8+3. Or we could increase the dice a little. Maybe 1d10+3, but no higher than 2d6+3, I think.

Edit: I think I like 2d6+3. It keeps the damage+Con structure and sticks to the natural size increase for the base damage dice.

Cleon

Legend
Ok, so we get 1d8+6 from the barbed devil. The +6 is +Con, so that should drop to +3. These are larger but lower HD/likely CR, so I could see 1d8+3. Or we could increase the dice a little. Maybe 1d10+3, but no higher than 2d6+3, I think.

Edit: I think I like 2d6+3. It keeps the damage+Con structure and sticks to the natural size increase for the base damage dice.

I like that.

2d6+3 averages half a point less than 1d8+6 and it pays a nice lip-service to consistency.

They certainly shouldn't do more damage than the nastier (and supernatural) spines of the barbed devil.

Oh, and shouldn't their tentacles do 1d3+3 damage? The update lists them as 1d2+3.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to all the latest values.

Updated.

Vulnerability to fire?

Yup, they should have vulnerability to fire.

Skills: 10

I'd put everything in Hide, so they can do the "lurk in the shadows until something edible wanders into reach".

Although come to think of it, maybe we should give them some Camouflage or Mimic Boulder ability so they can pretend to be a slimy rock while waiting for prey.

Great Fortitude and Lightning Reflexes to compensate for their poor saves, plus Weapon Focus (tentacles) to help their offensive abilities?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Agreed to Weapon Focus, Lightning Reflexes and the fire vulnerability, but give them Ability Focus (paralysis) as their third feat. It is their sole gimmick, and these guys are pretty fragile.

Should they have the Amphibious quality? The original article didn't make it clear whether these were tied to the water or not, did it?

freyar

Ability Focus is a good call.

Giant polyps grow in dark, subterranean chambers filled with pools of dark, stagnant water. Otherwise they conform rather closely to the habits of their distant cousin, the kampfults.
It sounds to me like they stick out of the water, so I'd say amphibious.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to Weapon Focus, Lightning Reflexes and the fire vulnerability, but give them Ability Focus (paralysis) as their third feat. It is their sole gimmick, and these guys are pretty fragile.

I thought about that giving them Ability Focus instead of Weapon Focus but was concerned they might suffer from the "Carrion Crawler problem" - they've got multiple paralysing attacks, so even without Ability Focus they've got an excellent chance of neutralizing their foe. Up to four DC16 saves vs paralysis per opponent is nothing to sneer at.

Should they have the Amphibious quality? The original article didn't make it clear whether these were tied to the water or not, did it?

Yes, Amphibious makes sense.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought about that giving them Ability Focus instead of Weapon Focus but was concerned they might suffer from the "Carrion Crawler problem" - they've got multiple paralysing attacks, so even without Ability Focus they've got an excellent chance of neutralizing their foe. Up to four DC16 saves vs paralysis per opponent is nothing to sneer at.

Demiurge suggested Ability Focus replace Great Fortitude, not Weapon Focus. I like that suggestion, as both the ability to hit with the paralysis, and then have the paralysis succeed, are its main method of survival.

Updated.

Environment: Any underground?

Organization: Solitary?

Challenge Rating: x

Alignment: Usually neutral evil?

Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large); 15-21 HD (Huge)?

freyar

I'm fine with all that, and I pegging CR at 6, though I could see 7. While it has a lot of attacks with a good pay-off, I think going any higher will make the attack bonus and save DC too low.

Remove ads