Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
To be fair, a corpse probably doesn't have many hit points. Let's use, for the sake of comparison, a human zombie. Which has 16, and three of those are from a feat.

Basically my point was 16 hit points may be enough to "kill" the zombie but it's not enough to destroy a corpse, anymore than killing a commoner by hitting them with a torch for 3 hit points of fire damage will reduce their body to ashes.

Still, I'm happy enough with 2d6 acid for the Polpy.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Through the door is a tremendous statue standing on a pedestal of stone. At first you think it must be made of shattered glass, but its brilliance is too great, nearly blinding you. It’s made of diamonds! Its hideous eyes darken and grow fearsome, and the diamond face and hands begin to jingle loudly as they move.

The diamond golem will attack until it is either destroyed or it destroys the party.

Diamond Golem (AC -6; MV 9; HD 22; hp 100; THACO -1; #AT special; Dmg 5-50; SA none; SD hit only by magical weapons of +3 or better, magical resistance 90%; XP Value 19,000).

The diamond golem is one of Zagig’s final creations, a behemoth he manufactured to protect his most valuable treasures. The diamond golem depends upon an outside light source for its animation -- until someone enters the room with light the golem remains silent and inanimate in the darkness. Once hit by light, the diamond golem will immediately animate and remain active for one hundred rounds after the light source is extinguished.

The number of attacks the golem gets in a round depends on the quality of light hitting it during the previous round.

Darkness: 1
Torchlight: 3/2
Light or light from any other 1st level spell: 2
The glow from a magical weapon, continual light, or light from any 2nd level spell: 5/2
Light from any other magic object or from any 3rd level or higher spell: 3

Magical attacks may affect the golem's number of attacks, as well. Hitting it with a fireball will do normal damage, but its light will let the golem attack three times in the next round.

Magical darkness (darkness, 15'radius or continual darkness) slows the golem. Each such spell cast upon it forces it to stop moving and attacking for one round.

If destroyed, the diamonds will turn to dust, worthless to the PCs.

Originally appeared in WGR1 - Greyhawk Ruins (1990).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm just going to suggest hasting/slowing and speed boosts. But I guess we could do extra actions if people want.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Anything else here, really? Hefty DR and SR, looks like. Not sure what to do with that damage listing, as 5d10 sounds a little weird.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's see, it's got 4 more HD than a 2e iron golem, 1 die better damage, 4 better THAC0, and much better AC (-6 vs. 3).

So I'm thinking...

3d10 damage (vs. the iron's 2d10)
+3 better Str modifier than iron (which is Str 33)
+30 natural armor (8 higher than iron, equivalent to adamantine golem, but not as good as ironwyrm)

Str 39, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1

Look OK?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Monsters of Faerun has a diamond golem that we could look to for comparison. If I recall correctly, it's also got light-based powers.

Remove ads