Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Yeah, I agree it needs something else. The original text mentions "its brilliance is too great, nearly blinding you", so maybe we can run with that?

Cleon

Legend
Those stats sound good.

I'm wondering if it should be Huge...

Well I have no real objection to going a full size step, but in that case we should consider boosting the Strength the full +8 instead of +4...

Do we want to stick with the 90% spell resistance, or switch to the more common immunity to magic?

I'll vote to go for the Spell Resistance, just to be different.

Sure. Vulnerability to sonic may also be appropriate.

I don't care for that (or the shatter vulnerability). I'd prefer for it not to have such an obvious flaw.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Yeah, I agree it needs something else. The original text mentions "its brilliance is too great, nearly blinding you", so maybe we can run with that?

Sounds a bit like the sunburst spell except it doesn't appear to do damage. Is this continuous or something it can do periodically? Does it need to be illuminated to make this attack?

Maybe something like:

Blinding Brilliance (Su): Once every 1d4+1 rounds, a diamond golem can produce a blinding flash of light as a free action when it is illuminated by a light source. All creatures within an 80-foot radius burst of the golem must make a DC X Reflex save or be blinded for 1 round [Y rounds?] then dazzled for Z rounds, creatures that make their save are merely dazzled for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well I have no real objection to going a full size step, but in that case we should consider boosting the Strength the full +8 instead of +4...

I'm fine with that.

I don't care for that (or the shatter vulnerability). I'd prefer for it not to have such an obvious flaw.

Most golems have an obvious flaw, though: rust for iron, fire for ice, stone to x for stone, etc.

Blinding Brilliance (Su): Once every 1d4+1 rounds, a diamond golem can produce a blinding flash of light as a free action when it is illuminated by a light source. All creatures within an 80-foot radius burst of the golem must make a DC X Reflex save or be blinded for 1 round [Y rounds?] then dazzled for Z rounds, creatures that make their save are merely dazzled for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Great start. Let's change "illuminated by a light source" to "in any area other than total darkness" to keep it easier to adjudicate. How about blinded for 1d4 rounds, then dazzled for 1 round thereafter on a failed save, and simply dazzled for 1d4 rounds on a success?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks good! I'm thinking DR 10/adamantine like the greater stone golem and probably around CR 16ish. It's about as good as the greater stone golem (or better) except its hp are much less.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Agreed to Shade's blinding brilliance. I think making the DR higher than the greater stone golem's is a good way to peg them on a similar CR level with the diamond golem's reduced HD.

Remove ads