Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
Great start. Let's change "illuminated by a light source" to "in any area other than total darkness" to keep it easier to adjudicate. How about blinded for 1d4 rounds, then dazzled for 1 round thereafter on a failed save, and simply dazzled for 1d4 rounds on a success?

Looks good, except I don't much care for the blinding lasting longer than the dazzling. How about 1d4 rounds duration for both?

Fair enough. DR 20 it is. You think CR 15 or 16?

I'd go for DR20 and CR 16. It may not look that much stronger than an SRD Iron Golem but that AC and magic-immunity makes it a tough stone to split.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Advancement: x

A diamond golem stands x feet tall and weighs x pounds.

For Construction, geas/quest, limited wish, and prismatic spray?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Normal advancement 23-33 HD (Huge), 34-66 HD (Gargantuan)?
Construction seems reasonable.
I'll let Cleon do height/weight if he shows up soon. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
For the construction, we can probably borrow this approach from the diamond gemstone golem:

"The heart of a diamond golem is a perfect diamond that must be worth at least 10,000 gp. The golem costs an additional 65,000 gp to create, which includes 2,000 gp for the semiprecious stones that make up the body."

I'd peg the price somewhere between the CR 13 iron golem (150,000) and the CR 17 ironwyrm golem (225,000). Since it's CR 16, perhaps lean closer to the ironwyrm? Maybe 200,000?

So putting it all together...

Construction
A diamond golem’s body is assembled from x,000 pounds of semiprecious gemstones, including a flawless diamond costing at least 10,000 gp for the heart. Assembling the body requires a DC 25 Craft (gemcutting) check or a DC 20 Craft (weaponsmithing) check.

CL 17th; Craft Construct, geas/quest, limited wish, prismatic spray, caster must be at least 17th level; Price 200,000 gp; Cost 110,000 gp + 7,600 XP.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The heart bit was borrowed from the gemstone golem. We can simply leave that part off, and just state that it needs the single flawless diamond as part of the construction.

Cleon

Legend
Normal advancement 23-33 HD (Huge), 34-66 HD (Gargantuan)?
Construction seems reasonable.
I'll let Cleon do height/weight if he shows up soon. ;)

Well it's a bit tricky since it doesn't say how big the golem is.

For the sake of argument, let's assume it's the size and shape of the SRD stone golem - a 9 foot tall, 2000 pound humanoid made of solid rock.

I imagine most stone golems are made of granite or marble, both of which are around 2.75 times denser than water).

Scaling a 9-foot stone humanoid down to a 6-foot flesh humanoid (density ~ 0.85 water) and you get someone who weighs 172 pounds, which sounds about right.

Diamond is ~3.5 times denser than water, or about 25% heavier than granite.

Therefore, 9 foot tall and 2,500 pounds seem reasonable figures to me.

Cleon

Legend
Except we made it Huge. :heh:

How much would it weigh if we scaled it up to 16 or more feet?

If we kept the proportions the same and upped it to 16 feet it would weigh about 14,300 pounds.

It would be easier to just double the height and octuple the weight:

18 feet and 20,000 pounds.

Remove ads