Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
The blade golem looks like a 12 feet-tall humanoid with sharp forearms; almost its entire surface is covered with blades of varying sizes.

Blade Golem: AC 3; MV 9; HD 9; hp 45; THAC0 12; #AT 1; Dmg 4d4; SA +2 to initiative rolls; SD +3 or better weapon to hit, immune to most spells, damages attackers; SZ L (12' tall); ML 20; AL N; XP 2000.
Notes: Electrical attacks slow the blade golem for 3 rounds; magical fire attacks heal 1 hp per die of damage; other spells have no effect. Characters striking the blade golem with hands or short hand-held weapons take 1d4 damage from the golem's sharp spikes.

Originally appeared in Star Cairns (1998).

Shade

Monster Junkie
A 3e blade golem exists, but is slightly different. Those blade golems are identical to iron golems except as follows: Their Dexterity is 19; they attack with bladed hands (resembling axes or swords) rather than slams; their attacks are the equivalent of keen wounding weapons; and they have no breath weapons.

This one sounds more like an iron golem covered in armored spikes.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes. Why don't we call these "spiked golems" and add barbed defense and subtract the breath weapon from the iron golem. Then we can see what else we might change.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I just noticed that they only have half the hit dice of an iron golem, yet are the same size and have similar characteristics. :confused:

Cleon

Legend
Seems like it.

Shouldn't the cost be 105,000 gp?

(Price + Materials) / 2 = Cost

(200000 + 10000) / 2 = 210000 / 2 = 105k.

Apart from that it looks fine.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It's got an "as the hasted spell" in the Immunity to Magic which should be "haste".

Cleon

Legend
I just noticed that they only have half the hit dice of an iron golem, yet are the same size and have similar characteristics. :confused:

Yes that is a puzzler. It also does a lot less damage than a 2E Iron Golem - 4d4 instead of 4d10.

Maybe it's a "poor man's Iron Golem". A hollow framework of blades welded together, instead of a solid construction like the SRD Iron Golem.

So, apart from the 9 Hit Dice are there are other changes you fancy.

Modify the stats a bit? With only 9 HD, 45 hp and 4-16 damage it is more like a Flesh Golem in power.

How about putting it between a Flesh and a Stone Golem in strength.

Spiked Golem: HD 9d10+30 (79hp), Str 25, Dex 9, Con 0, Int 0, Wis 11, Cha 1, NA +18 ?

Attacks ought to be 2 blades or spikes, but how much damage should they be do?

A Large armour spike only does 1d8 damage. The original 4-16 damage is marginally more than a Flesh Golem's 2-16, so I'd be OK leaving it at 2d8 damage with a higher Strength bonus for blade/spike +12 melee (2d8+7).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
NA seems maybe a touch too high for likely CR, but not much. The other ideas sound pretty good. As suggested before, let's add barbed defense.

Remove ads