• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, I think Change Shape is better for these, since it lets them keep their own (generally superior) physical stats. ;) Allow any humanoid form or just human?

SLAs look straightforward.

For the poison, Con damage seems about right. 2d6, 1d6 secondary?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say any humanoid, because...

"Many beings venerate Dispater, particularly hobgoblins, goblins, and other warlike humanoids. They revere his unassailable and indestructible nature."

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Flight maneuverability?

Natural armor?

The poison entry needs to be revised to account for it being spread through the mace. I'm sure a precedent exists for such an ability, but can't think of any at the moment. Anyone know of one?

freyar

Good maneuverability, like a dire bat? Unless it's Su...

Somewhere in the +8 to +12 range for natural, I think. Dire bats have +5, osyluths have +11.

Why not write a "poison mace" ability, like the bearded devil's infernal wound? Then put the poison stats into that.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Role Aids module I have has several unique creatures in it (I think they're unique). The best foe is a black dragon called Scarsnout.

Standing in the entryway is an immense dragon. Its head is six feet across. The body extends as far as you can see into the darkness. A yellow scar runs from its left eye, across its snout, and into the right nostril.

The dragon speaks, "I know you, whelp. The robot will not save you this time."

SCARSNOUT, SKILL 20 BLACK TRUE DRAGON
HTK: 72 (20d8)
AC: 5 (6 vs. arrows)
AT: 1 (breath) or 3 (claw, claw, bite)
DM: 2d20 (breath) -- save vs. Breath Weapon for half damage; 1d8 (claw); 1d10 (bite)
MV: 15"/30"
AL: N. Evil
INT: Very
THAC0: 6
Specials: Each "true dragon" has his/her own special ability. Scarsnout is the oldest known true dragon and the only one of his race to have two special abilities, which are:
1) Scarsnout may use his breath weapon at will (i.e. once each melee round).
2) Scarsnout can only be harmed by beings who have died (either resurrected Characters or undead). This explains the prophecy that "only the band from the dead can kill the scarred dragon."

If Scarsnout is so much as cut with Fez's sword (*), the blade of the sword bursts into an extremely hot flame, and Scarsnout takes 10d10 HTK of damage. The sword then become useless and melts.

*Fez's Sword is a Wizard's Sword, which is a sword usable by magic-users with the same proficiency as a fighter or that Character's skill level.

This sword has been forged for a special purpose: if it ever cuts a dragon, then the blade bursts into an extremely hot flame, causing 10d10 HTK of damage to the dragon. The blade is made of graphite; the hilt and grip are coated with asbestos. The asbestos protects the wielder of the sword when it ignites. When the blade ignites, the sword is destroyed. (p. 24)

From "Epilogue" sidebar: Deep in the cave, the party found Scarsnout's treasure. It is estimated that each party member carried out items and gems valued at over a quarter of a million gold pieces. [KF's Note: The module is for 4-8 characters of Skill Levels 3 to 7.]

FROM: Fez 1: Wizard's Vale (p. 32) [code: 703] -- by James Robert and Len Bland.

Last edited:

freyar

Could almost just do Scarsnout as a normal black dragon with the right (non-OGC) feats. Huh.

Back to the yeladons:
4th level spell for the summoning?
Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot?
Ability Focus (venemous mace), Deceitful, Weapon Focus (heavy mace), ?

Forgery seems possibly useful in terms of faking contracts to buy slaves. :devil: Also, would some sort of kidnap ability like bar-lguras have be useful for these guys?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Droids!

Fez1: Wizard's Vale -- Mite's Castle (p. 12)

1: The Defective Droid

. . . In front of the castle entrance, a two-foot-tall droid is moving around in a circle and muttering: "Mite, Mite, Mite . . ." over and over. Its tractor treads have worn a three-inch-deep trench into the ground.

<no stats>

2: Guardians of the Castle

. . . Droids patrol the courtyard, which is just outside the castle. They resemble the droid that was moving around in circles, only these droids seem to be functioning properly. Each of these droids has a red crystal atop its casing.

. . . When a visible party member enters the courtyard, the nearest droid approaches the Character and says, "I am programmed to fire lasers at you unlessyou leave now! I would not give this warning, but my master has agreed to protect youths like yourself. Please leave immediately, or I will attack."

The droids are programmed to attack anyone standing in the courtyard who does not retreat within ten seconds of receiving the warning. However, the droids will only attack visible intruders who ignore the warning and remain in the courtyard. The droids cannot detect invisible intruders.

The droids are not programmed to respond to attacks from the air . . .

(10) Droids
HTK: 15x2, 16x2, 17x2, 18x2, 19x2 (4d8)
AC: 4
AT: 1
DM: 2d6 (laser)
MV 16"
AL: Neutral
INT: Special
Size: M
THAC0: 15
Weapons: lasers
Special These droids obey anyone who uses the password. They do not respond to aerial attacks, doing no more than they are programmed to do. Droids outside of the defense walls circle in the same manner as the malfunctioning droid in Area 1.

Remove ads