D&D 5E Converting Old Adventures

Voadam

Legend
Play styles have always been wildly different between different groups playing the same game, some groups like combat, some groups like trying to maneuver slickly to avoid stuff, some like to chat with monsters/NPCs, some like to get involved in story and plot stuff, some like to roll dice to blow off steam, some just want a fun social experience where they make some jokes.

Even back in AD&D times the tournament scoring systems were used for much different purposes than home campaigns, I would not look to them for how non tournament games were designed to be played even when running the same specific module.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
There must be a copy of the 2014 conversion document around somewhere.
But I was hoping the website would have a conversion guide to look at.
Here is the conversion doc from 2015:

Edited to add: There is a newer conversion document here:

The only difference I can find is in the section about Quick Conversion. The first document says "Fourth edition adventures are usually amenable to quick conversion." and the newer one says "Fourth edition adventures aren’t usually amenable to quick conversion." [emphasis mine]

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I tend to follow the careful conversion suggestions from the 2015 conversion document (thanks for posting the link @Rabulias) - and that was without having read that document before. So with respect to treasure, I generally generate the treasure using the 5e tables and if there is something significant in the original, consider that is important to the situation or incidental. If incidental, I'll replace it with whatever was generated - if important to the situation, I'll replace it with closest item from 5e or convert it in 5e-friendly terms.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Some people say its easy but I disagree. I mean sure AD&D and Basic and like made OSR it's fairly simple if at all but to something different like 4th / 5th/ Shadowdark / Castles and Crusades can be some real work.

Tried to convert a 2E adventure to Shadowdark and it was some real work due to how money and xp work differently.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
but it's a lot of work and demands copious adaption to either/both rules and adventure.
It doesn’t have to be that deep or difficult.

I have run 1E/2E adventures for 5e on the fly and a great time was had by all (and for the sake of disclosure I have run exactly one very short written originally for 5e adventure since I started with it in 2020).

I have done some more detailed conversions but I credit that more towards my tendency to over prepare tha to any actual necessity.

All that being said, I am a DM with decades of experience, so a less experienced DM might find it harder without having the opportunity to develop that sense on their own.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Second, and the bigger difficulty is that 5th Edition D&D and the editions that came before it are different games. The focus is on different play styles, goals, and player expectations. It's not impossible to play 1E adventures with 5E rules ... but it's a lot of work and demands copious adaption to either/both rules and adventure. 5E adventure is generally structured around scenes and encounters while early editions (especially the earliest) are location based exploration adventures (even more at low levels). That is a room by room delves where navigating a large map and conserving character resources by finding an optimal path through and around encounters, obstacles and puzzles while recovering treasure is the main focus. In many older adventures the players seek to trivialize and skip many combat encounters and are the goals tend to be less clearly defined. Etc. I know you've heard this stuff before ... but it really does effect the way adventures are designed.
So maybe, in order to run the old adventures, you need to force a playstyle change back toward room-by-room exploration and combat avoidance and away from set-piece scenes and staged encounters.

Sounds like a positive development to me. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I vaguely recall an adventure with a crown that granted protection from evil in a stupidly large radius that protected an entire kingdom, is that the one you're talking about?

The main reason I want to limit magic items is mostly because I don't want a bunch of extraneous items sitting around because nobody can or wants to attune to them. I saw that in the game I was playing, quite a few items I ask "hey, does anyone want...?" and a lot of the time the answer is "eh", so the party stash has at least a dozen items laying around.

Though I think I have a potential cure for that if the party wants to use hirelings- gearing up one's hirelings is always a possibility!
Don't you allow the PCs to sell those extra items for cash?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Don't you allow the PCs to sell those extra items for cash?
Well at some point, yes. There's not many people who could afford such in Sturnheim (the town in the adventure), but I did put a way into the adventure, if the players do the right things. But as I posted upthread, I have a concern with what players are going to actually going to be able to do with said money. Here's the ideas I've had and the problems with them:

Hirelings: the adventure comes with several NPC's who the party could hire or coerce into joining them. This would make the tougher battles easier, and it hits my nostalgia bone, remembering the time when I routinely adventured with a couple of NPC's around. But adding more bodies to battles will add to complexity, making those battles longer, and ultimately, force me to make them tougher.

Of course, the answer there is to have more specialized Hirelings you don't want to risk in battle, who can perform other services for the group, but there's some logistical issues to consider when traveling with camp followers, which leads into:

Base Building: another feature of older editions that I'm nostalgic for, is the idea of having a permanent base of operations. My experience, however, has been that this is something for high level play, when you can afford to build teleportation circles and whatnot. Building a base and then finding that the adventure is moving elsewhere, to the point you rarely see it, kind of makes the exercise feel a bit pointless.

Training: some NPC's could teach players proficiencies, boons, or even feats, with the right incentive and downtime investment. This does turn money into another xp track since you now have another resource that can expand your abilities, but it might be ok if I got light on combat benefits.

Magic Item Trading: another classic "money to xp" scenario. Since 5e isn't built for players to need lots of increasingly more powerful magic items, there reaches a point where I have to charge outlandish prices for what, I'm sure, will feel like minor upgrades to the players. And honestly, I want the most epic and amazing magic items to be things found on adventures, not purchased from a store. Consumable items are a different story, of course, I always make those plentiful and easily found, but historically, my players over the decades never seem to know when the right time to use them is, or when it's worth the action economy to use them. I'm going to allow for bonus action potion use, but 5e's design is lousy with other uses for bonus actions- for some characters a bonus action is as important as a full action!

Thieves', Taxes, Money Sinks: never been a fan of these, while it can make sense in a world, it's a feel bad moment when the DM has to come up with a way to rid the party of the money they gave out in the first place. Pass. Going out of my way to destroy magic items very often has a similar effect. I remember a Dragonlance module (one of the sequels to In Search of Dragons) where our party of mighty heroes encountered a random trap that disintegrated a bunch of our items in a pretty blatant attempt to cut down the strength of the PC's- and then by the end of the adventure we were once again flush with a hoard of new items anyways, so it really felt like a pointless exercise. There's already a bit of this going on with purchasing supplies and helping yourself to a fine meal or other diversions, but that's generally not going to break the bank. Or say you've decided to seed plot hooks for an adventure on an island, then turn around and charge money for the players to get to said island- behind the scenes it seems a little pointless, like charging your players an "adventuring tax" (I'm suddenly reminded of MMO "raid attunements"...).

Investments: if it's turning money into more money, that's not really a solution. I'm certainly going to try to make fostering goodwill in communities a benefit, but being told that you have an endless supply of free drinks at an Inn by giving up enough money to buy said Inn feels a bit odd.

Bribes and Gifts: probably the best use for treasure, using it to influence NPC's (or gain influence by increasing your reputation in general). Need to sway the High Priest to lend you a holy relic? That's gonna require a hefty donation to the Church! The idea of gaining titles and increasing one's social standing might be attractive to some players- I know I always liked this sort of thing! Also in here would be joining organizations, though again, you only do that if there's tangible benefit.

General Do-Goodery: another personal favorite of mine is to use my wealth to help others without any real expectation of profit. As a DM though, if I have a player bound and determined to do good, I end up going out of my way to make sure that matters. It's an interesting paradox, really. One should do good with no expectations of reward, otherwise, it's not really doing good- but if there isn't any reward, then greedy selfish characters are effectively rewarded for being jerks!

Luxury Items: in the real world, the super wealthy often splurge on crazy stuff they don't need, simply to flaunt how wealthy they are. In a fantasy world, one could expect the same, and I do plan on making a lot of these things available. I once purchased an airship that only flew marginally faster than a horse could gallop, and had terrible handling and elevation, but I didn't care- I made it into my private, floating mansion, with all the amenities I could pack into it, so I could always travel in style! This could be my best bet in the end. It certainly satisfies the "roleplaying" itch, but it runs contrary to the reality that this is a "game" and everything is a potential resource.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well at some point, yes. There's not many people who could afford such in Sturnheim (the town in the adventure), but I did put a way into the adventure, if the players do the right things. But as I posted upthread, I have a concern with what players are going to actually going to be able to do with said money. Here's the ideas I've had and the problems with them:

Hirelings: the adventure comes with several NPC's who the party could hire or coerce into joining them. This would make the tougher battles easier, and it hits my nostalgia bone, remembering the time when I routinely adventured with a couple of NPC's around. But adding more bodies to battles will add to complexity, making those battles longer, and ultimately, force me to make them tougher.

Of course, the answer there is to have more specialized Hirelings you don't want to risk in battle, who can perform other services for the group, but there's some logistical issues to consider when traveling with camp followers, which leads into:

Base Building: another feature of older editions that I'm nostalgic for, is the idea of having a permanent base of operations. My experience, however, has been that this is something for high level play, when you can afford to build teleportation circles and whatnot. Building a base and then finding that the adventure is moving elsewhere, to the point you rarely see it, kind of makes the exercise feel a bit pointless.

Training: some NPC's could teach players proficiencies, boons, or even feats, with the right incentive and downtime investment. This does turn money into another xp track since you now have another resource that can expand your abilities, but it might be ok if I got light on combat benefits.

Magic Item Trading: another classic "money to xp" scenario. Since 5e isn't built for players to need lots of increasingly more powerful magic items, there reaches a point where I have to charge outlandish prices for what, I'm sure, will feel like minor upgrades to the players. And honestly, I want the most epic and amazing magic items to be things found on adventures, not purchased from a store. Consumable items are a different story, of course, I always make those plentiful and easily found, but historically, my players over the decades never seem to know when the right time to use them is, or when it's worth the action economy to use them. I'm going to allow for bonus action potion use, but 5e's design is lousy with other uses for bonus actions- for some characters a bonus action is as important as a full action!

Thieves', Taxes, Money Sinks: never been a fan of these, while it can make sense in a world, it's a feel bad moment when the DM has to come up with a way to rid the party of the money they gave out in the first place. Pass. Going out of my way to destroy magic items very often has a similar effect. I remember a Dragonlance module (one of the sequels to In Search of Dragons) where our party of mighty heroes encountered a random trap that disintegrated a bunch of our items in a pretty blatant attempt to cut down the strength of the PC's- and then by the end of the adventure we were once again flush with a hoard of new items anyways, so it really felt like a pointless exercise. There's already a bit of this going on with purchasing supplies and helping yourself to a fine meal or other diversions, but that's generally not going to break the bank. Or say you've decided to seed plot hooks for an adventure on an island, then turn around and charge money for the players to get to said island- behind the scenes it seems a little pointless, like charging your players an "adventuring tax" (I'm suddenly reminded of MMO "raid attunements"...).

Investments: if it's turning money into more money, that's not really a solution. I'm certainly going to try to make fostering goodwill in communities a benefit, but being told that you have an endless supply of free drinks at an Inn by giving up enough money to buy said Inn feels a bit odd.

Bribes and Gifts: probably the best use for treasure, using it to influence NPC's (or gain influence by increasing your reputation in general). Need to sway the High Priest to lend you a holy relic? That's gonna require a hefty donation to the Church! The idea of gaining titles and increasing one's social standing might be attractive to some players- I know I always liked this sort of thing! Also in here would be joining organizations, though again, you only do that if there's tangible benefit.

General Do-Goodery: another personal favorite of mine is to use my wealth to help others without any real expectation of profit. As a DM though, if I have a player bound and determined to do good, I end up going out of my way to make sure that matters. It's an interesting paradox, really. One should do good with no expectations of reward, otherwise, it's not really doing good- but if there isn't any reward, then greedy selfish characters are effectively rewarded for being jerks!

Luxury Items: in the real world, the super wealthy often splurge on crazy stuff they don't need, simply to flaunt how wealthy they are. In a fantasy world, one could expect the same, and I do plan on making a lot of these things available. I once purchased an airship that only flew marginally faster than a horse could gallop, and had terrible handling and elevation, but I didn't care- I made it into my private, floating mansion, with all the amenities I could pack into it, so I could always travel in style! This could be my best bet in the end. It certainly satisfies the "roleplaying" itch, but it runs contrary to the reality that this is a "game" and everything is a potential resource.
All of those things sound like great fun to me. I'd kill to be in a game like that!

Faolyn

(she/her)
So maybe, in order to run the old adventures, you need to force a playstyle change back toward room-by-room exploration and combat avoidance and away from set-piece scenes and staged encounters.

Sounds like a positive development to me. :)
It's only positive if you like that sort of play.

My group tried to do the GDQ modules in 5e. We absolutely loathed it. The options were kill the monsters or avoid the monsters. There was next to no room for diplomacy or even just interacting with the monsters in any way beyond combat without completely going against the module's intent.

Remove ads