Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
An increase to Dex seems like a sound investment, as their primary attack is thrown weapons. Do we want to treat that like a ranged touch attack, or like a burst with a Reflex save?

Mortis

First Post
An increase to Dex seems like a sound investment, as their primary attack is thrown weapons.
I agree with Demiurge on this; +4 Dex?

I was going to suggest making them incorporeal as they are described as being 'immaterial' but on reflection I think that was just a flavour thing.

Shade said:
Wyrds are undead creatures with strong connections to the Positive Energy Plane.
Is this right? Seems strange :-S

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
In addition to the +2 Dex they already have for being elves? I could see +4, but maybe +2 is ok too.

I read the globes more like a ranged touch, but I could be convinced of a small burst. I also get the impression that they are melee weapons (touch attack again), which is less bursty.

The positive energy bit is weird, but I'm thinking the globes are the reason.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think the +4 Dex should work out fine, as these things have good AC, but doubtfully have natural armor and don't appear to wear armor.

I'm thinking globes should be melee and ranged touch weapons, 1d6 points of damage for lesser, 1d10 for greater. Positive energy damage?

A wyrd can be turned as a wraith.

That's +2 turn resistance.

Greater wyrds are turned as ghosts.

And that's +4.

Should we make them harmed by negative energy and healed by positive energy, similar to deathless, due to their ties to the Positive Energy plane?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought about deathless, but a few traits made me hesitate...

Evil clerics can turn or destroy deathless creatures as good clerics turn or destroy undead. Good clerics and paladins can rebuke, command, or bolster deathless.

Deathless creatures gain the same benefits from consecrate and hallow spells as undead do by desecrate and unhallow spells, and they are hindered by desecrate and unhallow spells as undead are by consecrate and hallow.

Evil casters can be stunned by overwhelming auras of deathless creatures as good casters can be stunned by overwhelming undead auras. Use the "evil elemental or undead" line in the detect evil spell description when deathless are in the area of a detect good spell.

Deathless are healed by disrupt undead and damaged by unholy water as undead are damaged by holy water. Deathless are not affected by disrupting weapons. Spells that have greater than normal effect against undead creatures--including chill touch, magic stone, searing light, sunbeam, and wall of fire--do not have these enhanced effects against deathless creatures. Deathless take only 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels from searing light. Spells such as command undead, control undead, create undead, create greater undead, and halt undead do not affect or create deathless creatures.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Hm. Fair enough. How about an "in between the dark and the light" SQ that explains how they overlap a bit with deathless.

The graveyard sludge from MMV has the "between worlds" SQ, which gives it healing from both positive and negative energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads