• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hm. Fair enough. How about an "in between the dark and the light" SQ that explains how they overlap a bit with deathless.

The graveyard sludge from MMV has the "between worlds" SQ, which gives it healing from both positive and negative energy.

I think that sounds like a good approach. So, getting started...

In Between the Dark and the Light (Ex): Although undead, wyrds are strongly tied to the Positive Energy Plane, and thus are harmed by negative energy and healed by positive energy.

What other changes should that include?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't know if we need to state it there, but their ball-weapons should do positive energy damage.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
But positive energy = healing. Unless we want to do the "too many hit points and you explode", like the Positive Energy Plane.

I'd think of it more like a sunbeam spell. Too bad "radiant" is a 4e keyword only...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm, too true. Untyped, then? I like the exploding kind of idea, but that would be hard to get to, I think.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think the searing light comparison makes sense, so it is damage caused by "intense light".

Added to Homebrews.

Here's a draft of the spheres ability...

Light Spheres (Su): As a swift action, a wyrd may create a pair of glowing spheres of intense light. These spheres may be wielded as melee weapons, and the wyrd may fight with one in each hand at no penalty. A sphere may also be hurled as a ranged touch attack, with a range of 60 feet and a 30-foot range increment.

A lesser wyrd's spheres are glowing red and deal 1d6 points of damage. A greater wyrd's spheres glow a sickly green and deal 1d10 points of damage and expose the target to its paralysis (see below).

Should the spheres deal extra damage to undead, more to light-vulnerable undead, and less to constructs and objects, like the searing light spell?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Revising...

Light Spheres (Su): As a swift action, a wyrd may create a pair of glowing spheres of intense light. These spheres may be wielded as melee weapons, and the wyrd may fight with one in each hand at no penalty. A sphere may also be hurled as a ranged touch attack, with a range of 60 feet and a 30-foot range increment.

A lesser wyrd's spheres are glowing red and deal 1d6 points of damage. A greater wyrd's spheres glow a sickly green and deal 1d10 points of damage and expose the target to its paralysis (see below).

Elves and undead creatures take half again as much (+50%) damage from a wyrd's light spheres, while elves or undead creatures particularly vulnerable to bright light (such as drow or vampires) take double damage. A construct or inanimate object takes only half damage.

Wyrds are immune to the effects of light spheres.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Looks good! We might also want to give wyrds a quality that makes them not count as undead for the purposes of light-based spells that deal extra damage to the undead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads