Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the adding caster level option, as it preserves the differences between the subspecies. Maybe add 5 to the caster level (half the HD increase)?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed to all that. Makes them sufficiently more powerful, but it's not ridiculous.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
How shall we handle the ability scores? Increased size modifiers, +2 to Int and Wis, +4/+6 to Cha? Or should we increase the other mental ability scores at the same rate as Cha? And what do we do with the increased ability points for bonus HD? I'm sort of tempted to stuff the two of them into Dex, so there's no Dex penalty for increasing in size.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I say all mental scores +6. They have 7 heads, after all!

Should they have all-around vision, since they 7 heads?

Did I mention they have 7 heads? And 9 buttocks?

;)

Also, I'm never sure about increased abilities for HD gained through templates, etc. For example, do you increase abilities and how many times? Say the naga starts with 7 HD; does it get 2 ability increases or 3 (at 8, 12, and 16HD)? Maybe we should just remind the DM and let them decide.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Surprisingly, nagahydras (and regular ol' hydras) lack all-around vison. Instead, they get "a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, thanks to its multiple heads."

For the ability scores, like so?

Abilities: A master naga's Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are all adjusted according to the Changes to Statistics by Size Table as detailed in the Monster Manual. (+8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con for a Large base naga, and +16Str, -4 Dex, +8 Con for a Medium base naga). A master naga's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma each increase by +6. Note that a master naga gains ability score increases as usual for its increased Hit Dice. Master nagas often put these ability score increases into Dexterity, to offset the size penalty.

Alternately, since all official nagas are Large or larger, we could give them a +2 racial bonus to Dex to offset the usual size adjustment.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Your first suggestion looked sound. And there are a few Medium nagas lurking about (like the bright nagas from Miniatures Handbook, poor things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads