Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Sure! Should we just do the abilities for the four core nagas and suggest that DMs invent their own abilities for other naga species along the same lines?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Perhaps for spirit nagas, tomb-tainted and:

Carrion Breath (Su): A spirit master naga can, once every 1d4 rounds, breathe a 30 foot cone of toxic gas. All creatures caught within the cone must make a successful Fortitude save or take 1d4 points of Constitution damage and be sickened for 1 minute. The save DC is Constitution based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure! Should we just do the abilities for the four core nagas and suggest that DMs invent their own abilities for other naga species along the same lines?

Yeah, I think that's reasonable.

Perhaps for spirit nagas, tomb-tainted and:

Carrion Breath (Su): A spirit master naga can, once every 1d4 rounds, breathe a 30 foot cone of toxic gas. All creatures caught within the cone must make a successful Fortitude save or take 1d4 points of Constitution damage and be sickened for 1 minute. The save DC is Constitution based.

Looks great!

For the water naga, maybe spines like a howler?

For the dark naga, something like this?

Implant Thoughts (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds, a dark master naga may attempt to implant a thought into a single creature's mind within 60 feet. This functions as the modify memory spell, except only a new memory may be implanted. A successful Will save negates this effect. This is a mind-affecting, compulsion effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Those look good as long as we think they're all roughly equivalent.

As for Eschew Materials, I didn't mean that they carried components around but that the gem spell foci substitute also as components. But no matter. ;)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Nice implant thoughts! I think that each of them should get a SA and a SQ. So what should a dark naga's SQ be?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmm....dark nagas are immune to "mind reading" and gain a bonus on saves vs. charm effects, so maybe upgrade the master to full immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities?

Alternatively, they could have a "backlash" quality for anyone who attempts to read their mind or fails to charm them.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the backlash idea, and I feel like there are some precedents, right. Or we could base it off Hostile Mind from the psionic section.

Water nagas also need an SA, but I'm blanking on a good idea.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's one "backlash" example...

Alien Mind (Su): While a minion of chaos is not immune to mental attacks, anyone targeting it with a mind-affecting or telepathic effect makes direct contact with its utterly alien mind. The attacker must make a DC 34 Will save or take 1d4+1 points of Wisdom damage. An attacker is subject to Wisdom damage on every attempt, whether the attack is successful or not. The save DC is Charisma-based.

For the water naga, I could see spines for the SA. For the SQ, something based on this?

Water nagas prefer to stay mostly concealed in a body of water while they launch a spell attack.

They currently have no special bonuses for doing so, and in fact lack the Hide skill entirely!

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
How about giving them effective greater invisibility as long as they're completely submerged?

For a special attack, they could animate and control water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads