Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Constrict is not a big deal to me one way or the other, though I don't think we need a name for it if we drop constrict. It's just grappling with acid on contact.

I agree that it sounds like ooze acid, and Cleon's outline looks good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I borrowed the constrict entry from the gray ooze as well. I think the added difficulty to the DC seems apt here as well.

For the sample weapon, how about a morningstar?

Feats: 2
Weapon Focus (slam)? Stand Still?

Once again, 'tis a shame that Improved Grapple has Improved Unarmed Strike as a prereq. :(

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I borrowed the constrict entry from the gray ooze as well. I think the added difficulty to the DC seems apt here as well.

I'd have it do more damage with the Constrict, maybe slam plus 2d4 acid, since the original does a respectable 2-12.

For the sample weapon, how about a morningstar?

Fine by me.

Feats: 2
Weapon Focus (slam)? Stand Still?

Those are good.

Once again, 'tis a shame that Improved Grapple has Improved Unarmed Strike as a prereq. :(

Nothing to stop you giving it a racial bonus or bonus feat for the +4 grapple.

I'd go for the racial bonus.

Cleon

Legend
These are looking pretty close to finished.

You know, with a 20 foot reach and Dex 15 maybe Combat Reflexes would be more useful than Stand Still.

What challenge rating do you think? They look like a CR3 to me - they've got more HP than an ogre, do almost as much damage and have DR, SR and Construct immunities.

Apart from that, it's just Construction.

We should add an acid damage spell to the prereqs, acid arrow seems the best fit in the SRD.

Do we want to keep bull's strength or swap it for acid arrow?

They seem tougher than a demos magen, so I think we should increase their price. Maybe to 7,000 gp? (Cost 4,000 gp + 240 XP).

freyar

Definitely CR 3, and I'd also go with Combat Reflexes.

Keep bull's strength and add acid arrow for construction. And also boost the price.

Looking good!

freyar

Resistance 20 to cover the damage it does to objects. It's a little high for the CR, but not a big deal. Done?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That works for me.

Galvan
Armor Class: 3
Hit Dice: 5
Move: 120’(40’)
Attacks: 1 or lightning bolt
Damage: by weapon or 3-18
No. Appearing: l-3 (0)
Save As: Fighter 5
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: C
Alignment: Neutral

Galvan. Galvan magen have the ability to store static electricity which they discharge as lightning bolts doing 3-18 points of damage. The lightning bolt forms a line 60’ long by 5’ wide. A successful save vs. Dragon Breath reduces damage by half. Galvan magen can discharge up to three lightning bolts per day. They will also use weapons.

Magen, Galvan
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Nil
INTELLIGENCE: Average (9)
TREASURE: C
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1d3
ARMOR CLASS: 3
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT DICE: 5
THAC0: 15
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: By weapon
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Lightning bolt
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Spell immunities
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 50%
SIZE: M (6’ tall)
MORALE: Fearless (20)
XP VALUE: 420

Galvans have the ability to store static electricity, which they discharge as lightning bolts 60 feet long and 5 feet wide. Those in the area of effect suffer 3d6 points of damage, though a successful saving throw vs. breath weapon halves the damage. Galvans can discharge up to three bolts a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads