• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We can probably modify this as needed...

Scatter Defilers (Su): Once per day a crypt thing can target its enemies with a teleportation effect, which causes them to be transported 10d10x10 feet in a random direction (Will DC 14 negates). Targets that fail their saves arrive safely in the closest open space to the destination (including shifting up or down if necessary) if a solid body occupies that location. This ability affects a number of enemies equal to the crypt thing's Hit Dice, and all targets must be within a 30-foot burst centered on the crypt thing. The transported targets cannot take any actions until their next turn. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
We can probably modify this as needed...

Scatter Defilers (Su): Once per day a crypt thing can target its enemies with a teleportation effect, which causes them to be transported 10d10x10 feet in a random direction (Will DC 14 negates). Targets that fail their saves arrive safely in the closest open space to the destination (including shifting up or down if necessary) if a solid body occupies that location. This ability affects a number of enemies equal to the crypt thing's Hit Dice, and all targets must be within a 30-foot burst centered on the crypt thing. The transported targets cannot take any actions until their next turn. The save DC is Charisma-based.

That'd work. Just make it a touch attack with a single target. I changed the distance to match the original's 1d20*100 yards, but I'm thinking we might want to reduce it.

Scatter Defiler (Su): A scalar magen can make a touch attack which causes a single opponent to be teleported 1d20x300 feet in a random direction (Will DC X negates). Targets that fail their saves arrive safely in the closest open space to the destination (including shifting up or down if necessary) if a solid body occupies that location. A transported opponent takes no damage, but cannot take any actions until their next turn. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That looks good. And it probably needs a name change, since usually nothing is being defiled. How about "transport opponent" or "baleful teleport"?

Cleon

Legend
That looks good. And it probably needs a name change, since usually nothing is being defiled. How about "transport opponent" or "baleful teleport"?

It certainly could benefit from a better name.

Teleport Other?

Teleport Opponent?

Banish Foe?

Hmm, I'd go for either teleport opponent or baleful teleport. Don't mind which.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's figure out ability scores.

Caldron: Str 14, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Demos: Str 14, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Galvan: Str 12, Dex 18, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Hypnos: Str 10, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 14

I'm thinking slightly stronger than a hypnos, but not as charismatic.

Str 12, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 12?

Cleon

Legend
Let's figure out ability scores.

Caldron: Str 14, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Demos: Str 14, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Galvan: Str 12, Dex 18, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Hypnos: Str 10, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 14

I'm thinking slightly stronger than a hypnos, but not as charismatic.

Str 12, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 12?

I disagree.

Their main ability is Cha-based and a pretty potent teleportation, so I'd give them Cha 14 if not higher. Regular teleport is a 5th level spell so requires a 15 in the relevant ability to cast as a spell.

Str 12, Dex 15, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 15 ?

Shade

Monster Junkie
My gut reaction was that the hypnos relies more on its ability over weapon attacks than the scalos (of course, we have so little flavor text for the scalos that it's hard to determine their true intent).

However, with the greater HD, I suppose a higher Cha makes sense.

Added to Homebrews.

The original text notes short swords for their melee weapon. Suggestions for the ranged weapon?

We'll need a new group name for 'em.

For the construction, replace cat's grace and lightning bolt with teleport or dimension door?

Cleon

Legend
My gut reaction was that the hypnos relies more on its ability over weapon attacks than the scalos (of course, we have so little flavor text for the scalos that it's hard to determine their true intent).

However, with the greater HD, I suppose a higher Cha makes sense.

Added to Homebrews.

The original text notes short swords for their melee weapon. Suggestions for the ranged weapon?

I'm thinking either light crossbow or shortbow. They don't seem very well equipped for combat.

We'll need a new group name for 'em.

Something to do with them expelling or keeping away intruders.

An ejection?

An exclusion?

An expulsion?

An eviction?

At the moment I like an exclusion of scalos the best.

For the construction, replace cat's grace and lightning bolt with teleport or dimension door?

I was going to propose dimension door. They're still pretty low level monsters, so I wouldn't want to use a 5th level spell as a prerequisite.

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good.

Updated.

Hmm, I have a slight preference for shortbows for them. Since they get a free ranged weapon proficiency we might as well make it a Martial one.

Skills: 7

Feats: 2
Ability Focus (baleful teleport)...

Challenge Rating: x

Let's divide its skills between Listen and Spot like most of the other magen. I'm thinking Point Blank Shot for the other feat.

As for the CR it's a bit tricky. They aren't as tough in a fight as the other magen and their teleporting trick could just be a nuisance. However, if they use it to split up their opponents and gang up on those who they don't teleport away it could be nasty.

Oh blast it, let's just call them CR3.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads