• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll take a shot at it, but it's not likely to be too good. ;)

The sis'thik, or the scourge of the desert, are a militant race of matriarchal lizardfolk. As the rulers of their domain, they have never learned fear, and they will demand tribute --- or a pound of flesh --- from any who cross their path.

Cleon

Legend
I'll take a shot at it, but it's not likely to be too good. ;)

The sis'thik, or the scourge of the desert, are a militant race of matriarchal lizardfolk. As the rulers of their domain, they have never learned fear, and they will demand tribute --- or a pound of flesh --- from any who cross their path.

That seems a little thin. How's this.

A humanoid like a tailless lizard covered in leathery, light tan hide.

Sis'thik, or desert scourges, are a proud race of warrior lizardfolk superbly adapted to dwell in hot and arid terrain. Sis'thik are strictly matriarchal, living in tribes ruled by a queen. Females control the tribe and do all the fighting, the noncombatant males are only allowed to contribute with mating and drudgery. These lizardfolk reproduce relatively slowly, most desert scourge females lay 2 to 8 eggs every other year.

Sis'thik tribes are nomadic and claim vast territories. The sis'thik maintain mudbrick shelters throughout their territory, usually near oases, and do not appreciate intruders using these structures. All who live in or cross their "property" do so only by the sis'thiks' goodwill. Parties seeking permission to enter desert scourge territory must abase themselves before the sis'thik queen and shower the tribe with gifts - sis'thiks favor metal goods, gems and fine wine.

Sis'thik breed various animals as mounts, particularly the xytar, and often ride them into battle. They also get meat from herds of livestock watched by the tribes' males. Sis'thik hunt many desert creatures for food, including lions, camels, jackals, and wyverns, but most savor the flesh of copper dragons. These lizardfolk also enjoy eating figs, dates, and cacti.

Desert scourge tribes occasionally form short-term alliances with blue dragons to attack humanoid settlements just outside the tribes' territory.

A sis'thik lizardfolk is usually 6 feet tall and can weigh from 200 to 250 pounds.

Sis'thik speak Draconic.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hey, there you go! I knew you had some flavor all planned out for these. ;)

Do you have any tactics where that came from? I don't get a good feeling from the original stats how they like to fight, other than that I would guess they work in groups.

Cleon

Legend
Hey, there you go! I knew you had some flavor all planned out for these. ;)

Planned or spontaneous? How can you tell?

Updating the Working Draft.

Do you have any tactics where that came from? I don't get a good feeling from the original stats how they like to fight, other than that I would guess they work in groups.

For tactics, we have:
The sis’thiks have domesticated the fierce desert dwelling xytars (see page 81) which are bred as mounts. Two sis’thik warriors are closely attached to each xytar, and are responsible for its well-being and training. Both sis’thiks ride the creature, one controls the action of the xytar and attacks with a long spear, while the other attacks with either a short bow or a long spear. When ridden by sis’thiks a xytar’s morale increases to 10, but the sis’thiks are unable to make the xytar use its breath weapon at will, so there is still only a 33% chance (1-2 on ld6) that it will breathe.

Occasionally sis’thik tribes work in conjunction with blue dragons to attack settlements near to their deserts. Sis’thiks riding the dragons sweep over the walls of the settlement as xytar-mounted sis’thiks attack and storm the gates. Fortunately these alliances are very rare and last only long enough to satisfy both the dragons’ greed for treasure, and the sis’thiks’ love of battle.
Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me to give them a ranged weapon, but the mention of shortbows combined with their +2 weapon damage indicates we should add a composite shortbow [+2 Str] to their attack line.

COMBAT
Desert scourges are cunning and ferocious warriors who have no scruples about using dirty tactics if it will bring them victory. They favor ambushes or surprise attacks that overwhelm their opponents like a raging sandstorm. If surprise is not possible they use archery to whittle down their enemy, concentrating fire upon the most effective target (most likely the water-carrying camels or the opponent's spellcasters).

Most sis'thiks favor scimitars and composite shortbows in battle, they may also wield falchions or spears. Sis'thiks sometimes employ heavy shields (giving them AC 17) or tower shields (AC 19), especially against opponents who have strong ranged attacks. They often drop their shields once they've entered melee, so they can use their off-hand claw attack.

Tribes that maintain xytar cavalry have two sis'thik warriors attached to each battle-trained xytar. Usually, one rider controls the xytar and wields a longspear, the other rider fires a bow or uses another longspear.

Cleon

Legend
Please, go ahead. ;) I know next to nothing about Mystara.

There isn't much in their Mystaran Monstrous Compendium entry that wasn't in the AC9 Creature Catalog. It just specifies the colour of their skin and has that bit about mud huts.

I don't remember Desert Scourges cropping up in any of the Mystaran Gazetteers or adventures I have.

We could just cut the In Mystara bit out?

Remove ads