• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Any thoughts on the resistances and immunities?
They should IMHO differ from the standard tanar'ri resistances/immunities.

I like the idea of resistance to negative energy and immunity to death effects.

Looking at their abilities how about immunity to paralysis and/or poison?

Resistance to acid, electricity, and fire 10?

I guess that's similar to tanar'ri resistances after all, but then again they all come from the same place :)

What about Damage Reduction and Spell Resistance; should they have any?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
They should IMHO differ from the standard tanar'ri resistances/immunities.

I like the idea of resistance to negative energy and immunity to death effects.

Looking at their abilities how about immunity to paralysis and/or poison?

Resistance to acid, electricity, and fire 10?

I guess that's similar to tanar'ri resistances after all, but then again they all come from the same place :)

I like all that. Anyone else?

Mortis said:
What about Damage Reduction and Spell Resistance; should they have any?

I think at the very least they should have spell resistance 8 + CR (like other demons) and DR good and/or cold iron.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Any suggestions for filling in the "x"s?

Armor Class: x (–1 size, +2 Dex, +x natural), touch x, flat-footed x

(AC for similar HD and size demons range from around 18-23)

Attack: Claw +10 melee (xdx+4 plus paralysis)
Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (xdx+4 plus paralysis) and bite +5 melee (xdx+2 plus poison)

(Standard claw damage for Large creature is 1d6, bite is 1d8, some demons deviate, though)

Paralysis (Ex): Those hit by an ostego's claw attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for X. The save DC is Constitution-based.

(The 7-HD uridezu has a paralysis attack that lasts 2d6 minutes)

Poison (Su): Bite—Injury, Fort DC 15, initial and secondary damage X. The save DC is Constitution-based.

("Any creature bitten by a death demon must save vs. Poison at -2 or die."...this might have been where the "death" part of its name was derived)

Spell-Like Abilities: At will--greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only); x/day--deeper darkness. Caster level Xth.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Any suggestions for filling in the "x"s?

Armor Class: x (–1 size, +2 Dex, +x natural), touch x, flat-footed x

(AC for similar HD and size demons range from around 18-23)
Well BD&D AC 4 would equal 3e AC 15, but that's a little low. How about

Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17

Attack: Claw +10 melee (xdx+4 plus paralysis)
Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (xdx+4 plus paralysis) and bite +5 melee (xdx+2 plus poison)

(Standard claw damage for Large creature is 1d6, bite is 1d8, some demons deviate, though)
I think standard demon damages will be fine.

Paralysis (Ex): Those hit by an ostego's claw attack must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for X. The save DC is Constitution-based.

(The 7-HD uridezu has a paralysis attack that lasts 2d6 minutes)
2d6 minutes will work.

+2 racial bonus ;) to the save DC?

Poison (Su): Bite—Injury, Fort DC 15, initial and secondary damage X. The save DC is Constitution-based.

("Any creature bitten by a death demon must save vs. Poison at -2 or die."...this might have been where the "death" part of its name was derived)
Probably best represented by Con damage (or drain?). How about 1d6 Con damage for both primary and secondary effects. With an additional 1 point of Con drain on the primary?

Spell-Like Abilities: At will--greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only); x/day--deeper darkness. Caster level Xth.
3/day? Caster level 10th?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated with all that.

Do we want to allow them to summon another of their kind? If so, what percent chance for success?

Skills: Bluff 10, Concentration 10, Initimidate 10, Knowledge (the planes) 10, Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Spot 10?
Feats: Multiattack, Improved Sunder, Power Attack?

CR 7? They are deadlier than the also 7HD CR 6 uridezu, but have several fewer HD than most of the CR 8 demons.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Do we want to allow them to summon another of their kind? If so, what percent chance for success?
Why not - but not too high a chance, say 20%?

Skills: Bluff 10, Concentration 10, Initimidate 10,
Knowledge (the planes) 10, Listen 10, Move Silently 10, Spot 10?
Feats: Multiattack, Improved Sunder, Power Attack?
All look good.

CR 7? They are deadlier than the also 7HD CR 6 uridezu, but have several fewer HD than most of the CR 8 demons.
CR 7 looks good to me.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Standard treasure?

How's this?

Summon Demon (Sp): Once per day a death demon can attempt to summon another death demon with a 20% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Standard treasure?

How's this?

Summon Demon (Sp): Once per day a death demon can attempt to summon another death demon with a 20% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.
Both fine with me.

Regards
Mortis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads