• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
I'd rather not strip them altogether. One of my pet peeves is monsters with no attacks, even when their bodies are equipped to do so. I'd rather address it in the flavor text, stating that they only make physical attacks as a last resort. Does that work?

It's fine for me. I didn't know that mephits necessarily actually have claws. Bites, I guess, sure, though humans don't get a natural attack for biting. It's just a question of physiology, which I don't mind one way or the other.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Does it get to use the breath weapon at will or every 1d4 rounds?

Per the mephits overview, a mephit can use its breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds as a standard action. Perhaps we should add that to the ability since we've reproduced most of the rest of the shared mephit traits in its writeup?

freyar

Sure. The rest looks good to me. This would be a fun one to use on some unsuspecting PCs; certainly a different kind of encounter. :D You know, it really emphasizes the usefulness of bardic music to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Radiant Mephit
Clim/Terr: Any
Freq: Common
Org: Solitary
Activity: Any
Diet: Nil
Int: Average (8-10)
Treasure: Nil
AL: Neutral
# Appearing: 1-10
AC: 5
Movement: 12, FL 24 (B)
HD: 3
THAC0: 17
# Att: 2
Dmg: 1d3/1d3
SA: Color spray
SD: See below
MR: Nil
Size: M (5' tall)
Morale: Irregular (5-7)
XP: 420

Prone to non sequiturs and glazed looks, radiant mephits appear permanently, blissfully dazed by the glories of their quasi-plane of Radiance. They peer fixedly at people and say things like, "Have you too seen the majesty of the Ultimate Light? Oh, look at that amazing reflection on your armor there! Nice...Sorry, was I talking?" They take overblown names as do other mephits, but never remember them.

Radiant mephits have silvery bodies that perfectly reflect their surroundings like a mirror, large black eyes, and thin prismatic wings. They have wide mouths, but their faces are usually expressionless, except during their sudden fits of crazed giggling.

Combat: Radiant mephits can attack with two claws (1d3 damage each). They can cast color spray once per turn at 6th level of magic use. However, unless directly attacked, they usually become distracted or forget their opponents.

Once per hour a radiant mephit can attempt to gate in another radiant mephit.

Radiant mephits are immune to all spells and effects that affect or work through vision, including color spray and visual illusions, but they receive no saving throws against mind-affecting magice. They have infravision to 120'. In strong light they regenerate 1 hp per turn.

Ecology: Radiant mephits lack the attention span to carry out missions. They are created primarily because some powerful beings of lawful alignment find their color sprays (dim recreations of the Plane of Radiance) soothing or mesmerizing.

Source: PSMC1.

freyar

Pretty straightforward, I guess.

1/day or 3/day on color spray?

Deflection bonus or natural armor for the AC?

Fast Healing only in strong light (greater than shadowy illumination?).

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
1/day or 3/day on color spray?

Let's stick with 1/hour like the air and fire mephits.

freyar said:
Deflection bonus or natural armor for the AC?

Probably natural. Do any of the other mephits have deflection?

freyar said:
Fast Healing only in strong light (greater than shadowy illumination?).

That could work.

freyar

1/hr sounds good for color spray.

All the SRD mephits have natural (didn't go look in other books), so let's go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads