• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Basically just feats and skills. Remember...

Skills: Most (if not all) have the following skills ranks:
Bluff +6, Escape Artist +6, Hide +6, Diplomacy +0, Disguise +0 (+2 acting), Intimidate +0, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spot +6, Use Rope +0 (+2 with bindings)

Feats: All mephits have two of the following feats:
Dodge, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Toughness, Weapon Finesse

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Skills: Most (if not all) have the following skills ranks:
Bluff +6, Escape Artist +6, Hide +6, Diplomacy +0, Disguise +0 (+2 acting), Intimidate +0, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spot +6, Use Rope +0 (+2 with bindings)
I suggest 1 rank in each of Bluff, Esacpe Artist, Hide, Listen, and Spot. The remaining 2 ranks in Move Silently.

Feats: All mephits have two of the following feats:
Dodge, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Toughness, Weapon Finesse
I suggest Weapon Finesse and either Dodge or Toughness.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
I seriously misfigured the skill ranks. As ousiders, they get 8/HD, and with a 6 Int, they'd still get 6 per HD. So, it should have 24 ranks.

That being the case, do you see any reason to vary from the usual mephit distribution (see above)?

From the feat suggestions, I think I prefer Dodge to Toughness for them.

For weight, 1 pound like fire mephits?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great! Time for the next one....

Lightning Mephit
Clim/Terr: Any
Freq: Common
Org: Solitary
Activity: Any
Diet: Nil
Int: Average (8-10)
Treasure: Nil
AL: Neutral
# Appearing: 1-20
AC: 4
Movement: 12, FL 36 (C)
HD: 3
THAC0: 17
# Att: 2
Dmg: 1d3/1d3
SA: Lightning bolt
SD: See below
MR: Nil
Size: M (5' tall)
Morale: Average (8-10)
XP: 420

A lightning mephit's torso and limbs are thin, jagged bolts of black lightning; its hands and feet are oversized, bulbous, and white. Its earless head smells like ozone and glows with a permanent light spell-like effect that cannot be dispelled; this expires when the mephit dies.

A lightning mephit has no wings. It races through the air like a lightning bolt, the fastest of all mephits. Unfortunately, it manuevers poorly.

Lightning mephits are energetic, even hyperactive, with an incessant curiosity and desire for activity. They talk very, very fast, with many mistakes, false starts, and malapropisms.

Combat: lightning mephits dislike combat and prefer to befriend opponents. They have no claws but have the spell-like ability to cast a lightning bolt three times a day. Unlike the wizard spell, this bolt does 3d6 damage automatically to one target within 80'. A mephit can cast additional bolts, but each extra bolt damages the mephit (2 hp from its current total per bolt cast).

Once per hour a lightning mephit can attempt to gate in 1-4 more lightning mephits.

Attacks with nonmagical metal weapons on a lightning mephit do it no harm but, may harm the attacker (save vs. paralysis or take 1d3 shock damage). Lightning mephits are immune to fire, heat, and electrical damage of all kinds, but dousing with liquid (at least a gallon) destroys them in a flash (3 hp damage to everyone in a 5' radius).

Lightning mephits instantly regenerate all damage on contact with an electrical source, such as another mephit's lightning bolt. This reinforces the mephit's natural desire to congregate with others of its kind. A force of mephits that can recharge one another is unstoppable by anything short of a glass of water.

Source: PSMC1.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Should we just say

Lightning Bolt (Su): 3 times a day, a lightning mephit can cast a lightning bolt that does 3d6 electricity damage to one opponent automatically. The mephit can cast additional bolts per day by taking 2 hp of damage.

I went with (Su) because this doesn't seem to fit any particular spell. Do you want to stick with the "old-school" text or change it?

Also, I know I've seen something like this before but can't find it. I think they don't usually allow saves (like the phoenix's heat ability).

Electricity Aura (Su): Any creature that successfully hits a lightning mephit with a natural or metal weapon takes 1d3 points of electricity damage (no save).

Or do you want to allow a fort or ref save?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, definitely a Su ability on the "lightning bolt". Since it only strikes one target, I'd suggest changing it to a ranged touch attack like scorching ray.

No save on the aura sounds best to me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That sounds good to me. How about Str 10, Dex 16, Con 11 for the physical abilities, along with Weapon Finesse as one feat?

What do you want to do about the regeneration? All hit points or some fraction of what the damage would have been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads