• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhaga

First Post
Looks good, Shade. Thoughts from others?

Is there anything else we need to do for the Lightning Mephit?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added the pound.

The final mephit...

Mineral Mephit
Clim/Terr: Any
Freq: Common
Org: Solitary
Activity: Any
Diet: Nil
Int: Average (8-10)
Treasure: Nil
AL: Neutral
# Appearing: 1-20
AC: 4
Movement: 12, FL 24 (C)
HD: 3+2
THAC0: 17
# Att: 2
Dmg: 1d4/1d4
SA: Glitterdust
SD: See below
MR: Nil
Size: M (5' tall)
Morale: Average (8-10)
XP: 420

These thickly-built mephits look like earth mephits. Their skin and wings glitter with ground mica. The rigid metallic wings have no obvious function in the mephit's magical flight. Like their earthy kin, mineral mephits are clumsy in flight. They have no odor.

These suspicious, greedy, and self-righteous mephits show an attitude common in their native plane of Minerals: They style themselves guards of all treasure, whether or not they own it.

Combat: Mineral mephits attack with two claws (1d4 damage each). Their breath weapon works as glitterdust (no range, 10' radius) three times a day at 3rd level of magic use. They can move through stone walls less than a foot thick as though insubstantial.

Once per hour, mineral mephits can attempt to gate in 1-2 other mephits, either earth or mineral. If two arrive, they are the same type.

Mineral mephits do not breathe and are immune to gas attacks of all kinds. Vacuum and nonmagical impaling weapons do no damage. Passwall or transmute rock to mude destroys them instantly.

Mineral mephits regenerate 1 hp per turn in contact with stone. Gems and jewelry also restore hit points but are consumed in the process, 10 gp of value lost per hp restored.

Source: PSMC1.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Breath weapon (Su): Every 1d4 rounds (or 1/hr?), a mineral mephit can use its breath weapon, a 10 ft cone. Creatures within the cone are affected as by the glitterdust spell at caster level 3.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Breath weapon (Su):[/i] Every 1d4 rounds (or 1/hr?), a mineral mephit can use its breath weapon, a 10 ft cone. Creatures within the cone are affected as by the glitterdust spell at caster level 3.

Let's stick with every 1d4 rounds like most mephits.

dhaga

First Post
Special Qualities: Immune to Gas, DR 20/slashing or bludgeoning

They can move through stone walls less than a foot thick as though insubstantial.

Should they be given the Earthmove (or whatever it's called) ability that Earth Elementals possess?

Stone Healing (Su)
1 hp/turn isn't very much at all. 1 hp/round?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
dhaga said:
Special Qualities: Immune to Gas, DR 20/slashing or bludgeoning
Looks good. Is there a "gas" descriptor for attacks?

Should they be given the Earthmove (or whatever it's called) ability that Earth Elementals possess?

I think it's called Earth Glide. This isn't quite what is described in the text but is probably the closest existing thing. So the question is whether we want to make a version that only works in walls 1ft thick.

Stone Healing (Su)
1 hp/turn isn't very much at all. 1 hp/round?
I'd say Fast Healing 1 when in contact with stone.

dhaga

First Post
freyar said:
Is there a "gas" descriptor for attacks?

I'm not sure. We could flesh out the description to cover the implications.

Gas Immunity (Ex): A mineral mephit is immune to any gas or cloud effect that deals damage. Stinking Cloud, Cloudkill, and related effects have no effect on the mephit. Obscuring Mist, Fog Cloud, and similar effects that deal no damage but limit range of sight and spotting distance have a normal effect on mineral mephits.

That may need to be whittled down a little.

I think it's called Earth Glide. This isn't quite what is described in the text but is probably the closest existing thing. So the question is whether we want to make a version that only works in walls 1ft thick.

We could state it can only use the ability over a certain distance (each round?)
Or we could craft a new ability based on passwall.

Pass Wall(Su): A mineral mephit can move through stone walls with ease. The use of this ability is limited to walls 1 ft thick or less. A mineral mephit cannot end its round inside a wall.

I'd say Fast Healing 1 when in contact with stone.

That sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads