Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Tail slap damage? (2d6 is standard for Huge)

Challenge Rating: 8? (Despite less HD, it is just as deadly as a T-Rex)

Advancement: 13-24 HD (Huge); 25-36 HD (Gargantuan)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Anancus (pike-tusked elephant)
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Temperate forest
FREQUENCY: Common
ORGANIZATION: Herd
DIET: Herbivore
NO. APPEARING: 2-20
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVEMENT: 15
HIT DICE: 10+5
THAC0: 9
NO. OF ATTACKS: 4
DAMAGE/ATTACKS: 3-18/3-18/2-12/2-12
SIZE: L (10' high)
MORALE: Unsteady (7)
XP VALUE: 2,000

Anancus was an elephant adapted to woodland life. It had small ears, a small trunk, and two tremendously long (10') and straight tusks, almost as long as the animals body, that extended straight out in front of its mouth. Each tusk is worth 200-800 gp.

Combat: Anancus attacks with two tusks and both front legs. However, an opponent can be attacked by one tusk or both legs, not both tusks and legs at once.

Habitat/Society: Anancus is adapted to temperate forests, much as modern elephants roam open tropical forests. It feeds on tree and shrub foliage. Adults have no natural enemies except disease and tree blight (which destroys its habitat). The young may fall prey to large predators.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #167 (1991).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Start with the elephant and add two slams? Or just keep trample? Do we want to do something fancy with the gore attack (like give it two)?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I thought that at first, too, but isn't its reach 10 ft anyway? I guess you could argue that those tusks should give it 15 ft reach...

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I thought that at first, too, but isn't its reach 10 ft anyway? I guess you could argue that those tusks should give it 15 ft reach...

I would argue that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads