Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't like the low Cha and here's why: In past editions, it had no effect on abilities. In 3.5, it is the key ability for undead. The Fool is going to be pathetic with a low Cha.

Also, I think the only reason it had a low Cha was "punishment" for failing in its leadership role. In life, he was a captain of a large vessel, so he must have been at least moderately charismatic.

I'd rather give him poor Wis, to reflect his poor judgement. B-)

And, as for Con as a dump stat, I've seen several wizard players select Con as their dump stat. :D

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd rather have Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 13 than having such a low Con. While I can appreciate non-optimized characters (especially for PCs), I'd rather not do that for one of our monsters.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm fine with that, but perhaps the master lich template should give a Str boost? The Fool's Str was 13.

Revising...

13th-level Human Wizard
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 13d4 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+3 Dex), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+5
Attack: Weapon +6 melee (xdx-1) or weapon +9 ranged (xdx-1)
Full Attack: Weapon +6/+1 melee (xdx-1) or weapon +9/+4 ranged (xdx-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Summon familiar
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +9
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 13
Skills: 89 ranks
Feats: Scribe Scroll (B), 5 more plus 2 wizard bonus feats and 1 human bonus feat
Environment: x
Organization: x
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: x
Alignment: Neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

Beginning ability scores: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 13
Int boosted at 4th level
Dex boosted at 8th level
Dex boosted at 12th level

Combat

Wizard Spells Prepared (4/5/5/5/4/3/2/1; save DC 13 + spell level).
0—x;
1st—x;
2nd—x;
3rd—x;
4th—x ;
5th—x;
6th—x;
7th —x.

freyar

Give him a nice wizardly weapon like a quarterstaff or dagger? Probably not worth it unless heavily enchanted, and the same goes for anything ranged.

On to the spell list, I guess?

Cleon

Legend
Give him a nice wizardly weapon like a quarterstaff or dagger? Probably not worth it unless heavily enchanted, and the same goes for anything ranged.

It'd better off just sticking with the template's touch attack, but the original text says The Fool has a special longsword of lifestealing that turns those it life-drains to death into zombies under the Fool's control.

Make a custom magic item based on that?

It's also got a wand of conjuration.

On to the spell list, I guess?

Yup!

freyar

That sounds heavily enchanted enough to convert and maybe to have him spend a feat on!

I'm going to hang back on the spell lists since I'm swamped and those take me a long time...

Cleon

Legend
That sounds heavily enchanted enough to convert and maybe to have him spend a feat on!

Here's the SRD sword of life stealing:

SRD said:
Sword of Life Stealing
This black iron +2 longsword bestows a negative level when it deals a critical hit. The sword wielder gains 1d6 temporary hit points each time a negative level is bestowed on another. These temporary hit points last for 24 hours. One day after being struck, subjects must make a DC 16 Fortitude save for each negative level or lose a character level.

Strong necromancy; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, enervation; Price 25,715 gp; Cost 12,857 gp and 5 sp + 1,029 XP.

However I would prefer to make it a longsword version of the SRD's Life-Drinker, since that matches the Fool's caster level:

SRD said:
Life-Drinker
This +1 greataxe is favored by undead and constructs, who do not suffer its drawback. A life-drinker bestows two negative levels on its target whenever it deals damage, just as if its target had been struck by an undead creature. One day after being struck, subjects must make a DC 16 Fortitude save for each negative level or lose a character level.

Each time a life-drinker deals damage to a foe, it also bestows one negative level on the wielder. Any negative level gained by the wielder in this fashion lasts for 1 hour.

Strong necromancy; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, enervation; Price 40,320 gp; Cost 20,320 gp + 1,600 XP.

So, how about this:
Death-Stealer
This +2 longsword is favored by undead and constructs, who do not suffer its drawback. A death-stealer bestows one negative levels on its target whenever it deals damage, just as if its target had been struck by an undead creature, if the sword deals a critical hit it bestows two negative levels. One day after being struck, subjects must make a DC 16 Fortitude save for each negative level or lose a character level.

Each time the sword bestows negative levels to a foe, it also bestows one negative level on the wielder. These negative levels last until the wielder stops bearing the sword for 1 hour.

Finally, whenever 1 death-stealer slays a living, corporeal creature the corpse is turned into a zombie under the control of the wielder, as per the spell animate dead (caster level 13th).

Strong necromancy; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate dead, enervation; Price 30,315 gp; Cost 15,315 gp + 1,200 XP.​

Remove ads